Film slr

Matt24138

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get a film slr. I like my dslr but I figure I could learn a lot from a good film slr and it would be cheaper as I want all the lenses flashes etc and cant afford it for my dslr. What would you guys recommend. I have read the nikon a1 is good as well as the canon élan. The last film camera I had was my great grandmothers dual reflex brownie that was sadly stolen. It was even in the box with the manual (tear)

Bummer about the lost Brownie! If you're going to go into film, I would recommend Pentax, specifically the ME Super. Pentax has always made great gear, and there is a TON of it floating around for bargain basements prices. if you're budget is really tight, than the Pentax K1000 can be found for next to nothing. If you have a little more, than a Canon AE-1/AE-1 Program or Nikon FM - F5 are excellent bodies with a lot of features, but, the lenses will cost a lot more as they're still compatible with modern digital bodies (many Pentax are as well, but for some reason, their prices are much lower).

Yeah I was pissed especially because she left it to me and there was 10 rolls of film from the 30s-40s undeveloped from the bar she owned with my great grandfather. I really wanted to get them developed but I had 5 shots left to fill the roll and was going to take them all at once.

I have canon rebel xt. I can't afford great lenses for it right now although that is my goal build skill and lenses than upgrade the body. I want an older slr so I can use film as I think it is becoming a lost art and 2 so I can get good quality lenses for it.

IMO get something a bit older that is all manual. Manual focus, manual exposure, nothing fancy. I have a Nikon EM film camera which I'm quite a fan of!

1214544007_kZgR3-XL.jpg

5567870762_485b501760_b.jpg

If the only reason is money, no need for going film.
On a Canon dSLR you can put, adapted, most old lenses that you would use on a film SLR (except, sadly, Canon FD lenses). So there is no money saving from that point of view, while instead you will spend for film.
By the way, old Nikon lenses still can be used, with some limitation, on dSLR, so their price is not so low. Idem for Pentax. Both however can be put on Canon with 10$ adapters. Cheaper than those, you can find M42 lenses. Of course, you will loose autofocus and automatic aperture, but is a good school even without film.
Old flashes may be used on modern dSLR if their voltage is low. Here a list: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages . However, I spent noy much money for a modern chinese Yongnuo flash .

Pentax Takumar 200/4:

Nikon 100/2.8:

Zeiss Pancolar 50/2:

Cheap yet sharp russian lens, Zenitar 50/1.9:

This is made with an old Hanimex 400/6.3 with an old M42 teleconverter 2x:

Where would I find the adapter? When I google it I get all kinds of results not sure exactly what I am looking for.

Bummer about the lost Brownie! If you're going to go into film, I would recommend Pentax, specifically the ME Super. Pentax has always made great gear, and there is a TON of it floating around for bargain basements prices. if you're budget is really tight, than the Pentax K1000 can be found for next to nothing. If you have a little more, than a Canon AE-1/AE-1 Program or Nikon FM - F5 are excellent bodies with a lot of features, but, the lenses will cost a lot more as they're still compatible with modern digital bodies (many Pentax are as well, but for some reason, their prices are much lower).

So you're saying my dad's old Pentax K1000 isn't worth any money? I was hoping that would be my retirement plan. :) I have his old K1000, and a couple of lenses. I've never really considered shooting with it. Now after reading this I'm tempted to take it into the camera shop and make sure it's in working order.

Another reason I want a film camera I think it would force me to learn if you get bad shots your wasting money where as my dslr I can take 30000 shots and it doesn't matter. I am learning and reading through the forum and books and tutorials but I think film would give a greater sense of emergency. I am going to look at an adapter and lenses as well. I assume I can't use an old say tamron 70-200 as I have seen with many pentax cameras on eBay?

One of the ebay sellers well known among MF lovers is big is | eBay . You have to choose the adapter that matches your lenses.
One thing: old zooms are often not great. However, you can use them anyway, also because they are very cheap (cheaper than most old prime lenses).

Regarding learning, I'm sure is a good exercise, shooting blindly and being able to check results only one week after or so. However, to make it a good exercise you have to write down parameters you used, to remember what you did to obtain your shots. I started this way many years ago, and then left, too much patience needed.
If you like old style shooting, then is better you avoid zooms, and use walking instead :) .

I was in the same boat and got the N75 (based mostly on Ken Rockwell's review). It is light and plastic, but they sell on ebay for around $40 and let me try out film SLR. I figure I'll be shooting exclusively outdoors landscapes with it, so I'm not too worried about a lot of bells and whistles, fast fps or high shutter speed.

I just took a roll of film for development, the first time I've done that in a few years. I have a few rolls of Velvia 50 to try out next.

Good luck!
Scott

Most reactions

Back