Status
Not open for further replies.

sactown024

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what are the pros and cons vs the 2?

My buddy shoots film with a mamiya 645AFDIII and everything looks great but seems like a PITA to have to develope them. There must be a reason why some people chose film over digital, can someone enlighten me?

developing is all part of the fun, i shoot film because i find it more rewarding and like the results better

Working in the darkroom is a whole different magical experience. For some it may be a PITA as you suggest, but for others it is rewarding and great fun. I would be careful about "putting down' something without first spending some time in exportation of the process.

Frankly I am a bit over this film vs digital thing, each has it's own place in the world.( With this coming from someone with over 64 years of darkroom experience and one who resisted digital for some time.)

It is not a matter of better, or best, how about just different tools with different results.

I agree with Ann, different tools for different jobs.
The large negative size of your friend Mamiya will produce very good results.
I myself have only recently started in the darkroom and developing my own B&W prints and find the process a lot of fun.
However for my underwater photography and most of the motocross I shoot I use digital for the convenience.

If consider developing (or sending it in to a lab) a PITA, then it might not be the right choice for you. But then again you never tried.

For some people developing your own film, and the possibilities of influencing the results without a computer, means pure fun! The same for the printing process. So many options, materials, ... this is in particular true for black and white.

I do like shooting anything from small to large format using film. In particular landscapes and architecture.

But I would never ever these days want to do a wedding other event shoot using film ... the workflow for hundreds and thousands of images then is just too slow for me and too expensive.

So it depends on personal gusto, and of course, horses for courses!

Many professional people feel that digital pictures do not have the similar look and feel as film prints. For this reason, most professional photographers still prefer to use the older film cameras, instead of digital cameras.

cool thanks, just didnt know if there was a "one better than the other" thing.

but why is "not the same" automatically inferior? seems to me this is an issue of tradition and taste, not anything objective.

carbon looks different from silver, dye transfer looks different from ciba. they're different processes, they're going to look different.

Many professional people feel that digital pictures do not have the similar look and feel as film prints. For this reason, most professional photographers still prefer to use the older film cameras, instead of digital cameras.

I dare to challenge that statement, although I am a defender of film ;)

Most professionals do use digital these days in my experience.

Although there are niches, where film is the weapon of choice.

* No digital vs. traditional arguments or debates are allowed. We have separate forums where the virtues of both mediums are discussed. No provoking comments will be tolerated.

So, before any provoking comments are made..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back