Filter Thread size.

jdjd1118

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking about buying a wide angle lens or telephoto lens for my DSC-H2. The original filter thread size is 58mm. Should the lenses I buy have a greater filter size at the front, or could I just go with one that also has 58mm? I don't want to end up with any "tunnel effect". Thanks

different focal lengths, have different requirements for filter sizes. It is very doubtful that you will find a wide angle lens and a long focal lenth lens with the same filter size.

Thanks, I saw some that had the 58mm size, but I'm probably going to go with one with a bigger thread size.

Hi.
Im pretty sure you can buy the filter for the bigger thread size and get a type of adaptor that helps it fit onto any threads smaller than it. Have not done this myself but from what ive read on this site it does not affect the picture quality.

I wouldnt let a filter size issue influence what lens i bought. Buy the best glass you can afford and then worry about the filters.....

you can buy a step up ring or a step down ring and go either way.

and i agree with the other post.buy the lens that is going to give you the best results and not which has the same filter size. Filters in within the big picture are cheap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back