nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For years now I've been wanting to get a picture of a Monarch butterfly and while visiting the Hampton Beach in NH yesterday, I saw one drinking some nectar from these large red clovers on the boardwalk (or cement walk) and he stayed there for a while so I was able to whip out my 70-200 and get some shots! The sun was also going down around that time so made for perfect lighting!

A can finally cross that off my shot list. But that doesn't mean I'll stop shooting them haha.

While it's not the best picture in the entire world, I'm happy with it and that's all that matters to me! I just wanted to share it.

Did I mention I was at the beach yesterday?

Nikon D610 + 70-200 f/4 VR
150mm, 1/500th, f/5.6, ISO 360

I thinks it's gorgeous

I thinks it's gorgeous

Thank you! I was kind of under pressure too because there was literally people watching me haha. I guess Monarchs don't visit the beach all that often.

Great shot! I know Hampton well and you would never know from looking at this photo that you were on the cement walkway by the ocean with a main road right beside you. Gorgeous bokeh, dof and colors!

Great shot-colours!

Nicely done, great bokeh.

Monarchs are special. They even fly a bit differently than most other butterflies. They glide a lot more in their flight. I have some Milkweed in the back and consequently I have Monarchs all year round. At any given time, I have adults, caterpillars and chrysalis in the yard.

Monarchs are special. They even fly a bit differently than most other butterflies. They glide a lot more in their flight. I have some Milkweed in the back and consequently I have Monarchs all year round. At any given time, I have adults, caterpillars and chrysalis in the yard.

Yeah, I'm thinking next year I might grow some milkweed in hopes it will attract some Monarchs.

I missed a great photo opp too because at one point there a bumble bee trying to get onto the same clover as the butterfly and they like started to fight.

Yeah, I'm thinking next year I might grow some milkweed in hopes it will attract some Monarchs.

I missed a great photo opp too because at one point there a bumble bee trying to get onto the same clover as the butterfly and they like started to fight.
You have to give it a few seasons for the Monarchs to find and then utilize the Milkweed as part of their routine.

You have to give it a few seasons for the Monarchs to find and then utilize the Milkweed as part of their routine.

Good to know. I mean, I do occasionally see them around my house but they just don't hang out long enough. Hopefully the milkweeds might give them a reason to stay a little longer.

Good to know. I mean, I do occasionally see them around my house but they just don't hang out long enough. Hopefully the milkweeds might give them a reason to stay a little longer.

I tagged three this year. Last year, I captured one on camera that has been tagged. It had reported sightings at Kansas University (original Tag), Miami Florida, Toledo Ohio, and I reported it in Ann Arbor Michigan. So they get around. Monarch Watch : Migration & Tagging : Tagging Monarchs

Most reactions

New Topics

Back