Finally a shot worth posting!! C&C welcome

bazpaul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Grrrr i got my Canon three or four weeks ago and have been shooting like a mad man, but have never captured anything great! Bits here and there, but nothing I like. Plus I want to take pictures of random people but dont like asking them or feel its intrusive!

.....anyway i was at an African festival in Brisbane and managed to stop this young girl (who had her hair done) as she was wandering alone through the exhibits. She was very polite when i asked could i take a shot but seemed a little nervous. So i could only pull of one shot before she smiled and skipped off......here it is!

The only good shot i got from the whole day:

Crazy_Hair_WEB.jpg

I love that shot . . . it has a great DOF and the colors look really great!

Interesting hair style :) What is wrong with the picture however is partly the DOF. The background is not out of focus enough to really show the subject clearly. The other problem is the background, its far too busy and really detracts from the little girl because she blends into its colors.

I understand in this case you didn't have much choice, but in the future try to have your subject stand in an area without too much clutter and with contrasting or complimentry colors so they don't blend into the background.

Still a cute snapshot though.;)

Interesting make-up and hair style.

Few things to keep in mind when shooting...be aware of the light. What kind of light is it (harsh, soft)? Which direction is it coming from? Is it illuminating the subject the way you want it to or do you have to move the subject to get better results.

Be aware of the background. When looking through the viewfinder at your subject don't forget to check the background to be sure it's not going to be a distraction and take attention away from the main subject.

Last edited:
cheers for the replies guys!

Samanax, you say be aware of the light......i always find it very very sunny and bright here in Brisbane (im from ireland - not bright or sunny). I find it hard to shoot in such bright light. I always get blown out sections from people clothes or shadows cast across my subjects. I bring down the Ev and smetimes it helps but i dont like doing that.

Any suggestions for shooting in midday sun?? I understand why so many shots are taken at sunrise and sunset the light is so easy to work with (if only i could get out of bed at 5.30am on a sat :lol:)

Note: i actually photoshoped the girl a little, i brought a some light to the left half of her face!

**** dude that photography school website is the bomb!!!

i found it hard to find good tutorials out there, but that site is great!!

Most reactions

Back