Fireworks

ToddnTN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first attempt at fireworks. Please let me know what you think.

$July6th 36.jpg$July6th 37.jpg$July6th 39.jpg

These were taken at a friends house and are consumer grade fireworks.

They're all out of focus.
_emoticon__by_Blingie.gif

I was having a hard time trying to focus. Any suggestions?
Also, I kinda like the effect the out of focus gave. (Not that I was trying for that effect)

I was also having to press the shutter myself. I don't have a remote. Could that have caused the blur/out of focus?

I was having a hard time trying to focus. Any suggestions?
Also, I kinda like the effect the out of focus gave. (Not that I was trying for that effect)

I was also having to press the shutter myself. I don't have a remote. Could that have caused the blur/out of focus?

You can't focus on fireworks, you have to use depth of field. Decide how far away the fireworks will be, pick an aperture that will give you sufficient depth of field to cover that distance, use manual focus to focus on that point and then don't change it.

Your shots are also overexposed because you were treating them as reflected light as would normally be read by the meter in your camera. In reality they were light sources which are much brighter than reflected light.

I normally use manual when I shoot fireworks. Put the camera on a tripod, manually focus where the fireworks should come up, set the aperture to around f/11 or f/16, and when I see them start up I open the shutter for a few seconds to catch the burst. How long the shutter is open doesn't really matter since the background is normally near black and the fireworks will die out and provide no light.

My method was essentially the same as yours Scott, except I had it set on f/8. I did a quick internet search before starting and someone suggested f/8.

I was having a hard time trying to focus. Any suggestions?...

Prefocus, then turn the AF off. When I shoot 'em, I take some test shots and zoom in on the monitor and check street lights, car headlights, etc. that are in the distance. Once correct focus is found, I turn off the AF (both on the body AND the lens) and check the focus point often to make sure I haven't moved it.

........ I don't have a remote. Could that have caused the blur/out of focus?

No.

My method was essentially the same as yours Scott, except I had it set on f/8. I did a quick internet search before starting and someone suggested f/8.

I shoot mine around f/9 or f/10 @ ISO 100.

I was having a hard time trying to focus. Any suggestions?...

Prefocus, then turn the AF off. When I shoot 'em, I take some test shots and zoom in on the monitor and check street lights, car headlights, etc. that are in the distance. Once correct focus is found, I turn off the AF (both on the body AND the lens) and check the focus point often to make sure I haven't moved it.

........ I don't have a remote. Could that have caused the blur/out of focus?

No.

I shoot mine around f/9 or f/10 @ ISO 100.

This. One of the members here suggested that I look up hyperfocus for things like this and lightening. I did my focus based on one of these charts and I've been successful with taking fireworks photos.

Most reactions

Back