First Actress Headshot

mattmphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, everyone!

This is my first post on this forum and I would love to get any kind of feedback on my first headshot session. I'm still very new to photography and would love to learn what to look for and what to improve on for future sessions.

The shoot was for actress headshots and done with a Rebel T5 with a 50mm 1.8 lens.

Thanks!

IMG_1142-2_pp.jpg

IMG_1115-2_pp.jpg

IMG_1092-2_pp.jpg

IMG_1081-2_pp.jpg

For your first session, not bad. A few thoughts on points for possible improvement:

1. Just because you have a fast lens, you don't need to use it wide open. I would have expected these to be shot at around 5.6 - 8; these look more like f1.8 - 2.5. Theatrical headshots are generally a fairly technical image rather than an artistic one.

2. This young lady has the most subtle eyebrows and lashes I've ever seen. A little make-up accenting would definitely have helped.

3. In the first images your lights are a bit too low. Generally speaking we are used to light coming down from above (sun, ceiling lights, etc). Catchlights should normally be around the 10.00/2.00 position.

4. She has quite a broad face, so while normally I wouldn't recommend the shooting angle used in #1, in this case it's (IMO) perfect, whereas the others tend to accentuate that feature a little more than may be desirable.

5. You missed focus totally on the last one. Bin it.

As far as what to improve upon in the future, I would suggest shooting from farther away, and then cropping-in on the images later; a 50mm lens used from such a close distance will invariably create some distortion of the relative size of the nose to the remainder of the face, ears, and head. The images would look better shot from farther away from the subject, and then cropped-in in software, to the desired framing.

I'm not typically a fan of cropping off the top of the head or hairstyle on this type of a photo: cutting into the top of the head on every single shot is not the best idea I think. I would mix things up a bit, and show some with some space above the top of the head.

On stage or on film the actress's entire head would be in focus.
In the first frame posted only the tip of her nose is in focus. The rest of her facial mask is beyond the sharp portion of the depth-of-field.

I would use a 135 mm or 200 mm focal length to avoid the lens distortion issue & set the lens aperture to f/11.
Shooting with a point of focus distance of 10 feet the total DoF would only be about 9 inches.
48% of the 9 inches would be in front of the point of focus and the remaining 52% would be behind the point of focus.

I would shoot from a lower camera perspective and have her entire head in the shot, even after cropping.
I would have her lower her chin, turn her head slightly left/right and look right in the lens.

I would use broad, short, and butterfly lighting.

Then there's the posing. Not that it's totally wrong, but they're all the same pose with one being slightly different with closed lips. This actress needs some variety in her poses to show the casting agents. Consult a book on posing and coach your subject accordingly.

There is a lot of great advice already posted here.
I can tell you from first hand experience, that there is a ton to learn on this forum, and it is well worth your time to stay active! Post your work, comment on other people's work, and ask questions. You will be a grade A photographer in no time! :)

Welcome to TPF!!! :bouncingsmileys:

There is motion blur in almost all the images, the focus isn't nailed 100% on the eyes on the last image. The 50mm lens isn't long enough to provide a flattering look so her nose looks somewhat bulbous in the images.
The lighting lacks pizzazz and the poses evoke School Yearbook (not in a flattering way) rather than actress headshots.
Her eyes needs to be more expressive in all the images. She is MUCH too close to the background wall.
In post production, you can give her darker eyebrows and remove the wrinkle on her forehead.

I don't think you misfocused as was stated. I think you did two things that you might want to look at. First, I think your aperture in most of the photos was too large. Softness throughout the image leaves me to that conclusion. The second thing I notice is that in your processing your area around the hair where you appear to have separated the subject from the background you created a nasty and very noticeable aura. I can only assume that the background you placed there was not the background you shot against. Fine hairlines are TOUGH to mask when separating the subject from the background. I would suggest looking at another alternative.

I've shot many headshots wide open at f/1.4
It's poor technique on the part of the OP and missing the focus

Most reactions

New Topics

Back