First attempt at B&W

Josh_Houchin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.solacethroughsolitude.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Below is my first attempt at a B&W photo. I shot it in color with the intention of messing with it lightroom to get the look I was looking for. I am kind of on the fence whether I like it or not and frankly I am not sure why. Any thoughts positive or negative would be appreciated.

DSC_0713-2_zps1cb65ed1.jpg

RunJZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It's busy. I think the composition would be better if the dog was set in the field alone. The trees seem distracting in the background. I believe it would make the pooch pop out better without them.

Not a bad shot regardless.

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
$DSC_0713-2_zps1cb65ed1b.jpg
I'd do a tighter crop. Unfortunately the resolution was too low to do much with your photo

Last edited:

vintagesnaps

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I see black and gray but not really white (look how gray it all seems compared to the white border on here), seems to need contrast adjusted. I'd probably crop the left side some too, I think that slightly taller plant to the left could give some balance to the dog in the composition if the contrast could be adjusted so it's easier to see it.

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I don't think this really benefits from BW and or your processing. Perhaps something different in the processing would work better and composition.

71M

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
$DSC_0713-2_zps1cb65ed1.jpg
Below is my first attempt at a B&W photo. I shot it in color with the intention of messing with it lightroom to get the look I was looking for. I am kind of on the fence whether I like it or not and frankly I am not sure why. Any thoughts positive or negative would be appreciated.

DSC_0713-2_zps1cb65ed1.jpg

71M

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I used a duplicate layer>multiply mode>linear mask to darken the trees. Dodged the grass and the dog, burnt around the dog outline as well, (50% opacities).

cynicaster

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I don't think this photo is a very good candidate for a B&W conversion, as it lacks the punchy contrast that, IMO, makes B&W photos interesting to look at.

I like the composition, though, and I don't agree that the background trees detract from it because they're adequately obscured by blur.

harishu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
me thinks the same.

I don't think this photo is a very good candidate for a B&W conversion, as it lacks the punchy contrast that, IMO, makes B&W photos interesting to look at.

I like the composition, though, and I don't agree that the background trees detract from it because they're adequately obscured by blur.

Gavjenks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Is this a mirror lens? Looks kinda like it, which would make it a lot harder to make the trees in the back not distracting.

Most reactions