First Attempt at Lightning C&C welcomed.

pedalpics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was going to ask why they were so grainy then realized I somehow was shooting on 3200iso which I have never used so have no idea what happened there. Main question is the red sky played around with the WB but couldnt get it to not be red. Did a little reading and seen stuff about the kelvin but cant find how to change it. Shooting with a Nikon D3100. Had taken more but they were all misses tries switching to other WB modes like sunny etc but still was getting red skys. Also think I am having trouble getting to infinity focus not sure if thats even possible with my lens its the kit 18-55 vr dx lens thats why I turned the f/stop way up which I think helps focal depth. Thought they dont look to out of focus. Thanks everyone.

F/25
30"
ISO3200
Auto WB says 0
DSC_5629.JPG

F/25
30"
Auto WB says 1
DSC_5637.JPG

F/25
30"
Auto WB says 0
DSC_5627.JPG

F/25
30"
Auto WB says 0
DSC_5628.JPG

When you are changing the WB, switch it until you see the display says "K". From there you can use one of the dials to change the kelvin temp which will drastically change your color temp. That is how it is on my D80, not sure if the 3100 is the same way, but they are probably pretty similar. I have trouble getting the elusive lightning shot. We don't really get great lightning shows here, and when we do they are during the day so I can't use a long exposure. Great job!

In #1 the scene has mixed light source types. White balance adjustments can only globally correct for one light source type.

You can see the lighting is one color, the clouds and the building in the foreground below the lightning are the same color, but there is yet a 3rd light color there on the right that has been rendered as very nearly white, and some leafy plants are green.

F/25
30"
ISO3200
Auto WB says 0
DSC_5629.JPG

Consider getting rid of distractions in the photo:

DSC_5629.jpg

When you are changing the WB, switch it until you see the display says "K". From there you can use one of the dials to change the kelvin temp which will drastically change your color temp. That is how it is on my D80, not sure if the 3100 is the same way, but they are probably pretty similar. I have trouble getting the elusive lightning shot. We don't really get great lightning shows here, and when we do they are during the day so I can't use a long exposure. Great job!

Thanks KA not seeing exaclty what you are talking about but do see where I can get to a grid in WB mode with B being to the left A to the right G on top and M on the bottom. Then I can move a dot into the different quadrants of that grid. I will do some research and see what those do.

Side note is Aikens your last name? My is Aikins but everyone spells it Aikens.

Ok the D3100 does not have a WB kelvin I can change. Is there a way I can do it using the preset mode? I would guess this would require shooting a pic of a certain color?

Sometimes I'll change it to tungsten mode for night shots. It changes things up and can produce neat lighting.

Set it to + numbers instead of 0.... negitive numbers is more orangey/yellowy/whatever...positive is more blue.

I hate Auto WB anyways...think mine has sat at -1 shade since I got my camera (but then again i usually shoot around sunsets so it helps)

great shots. how long did you leave the shutter open?? i just got a new fugi camera and tonight is my first lightning storm to try it out on..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back