first baby shoot C and C please

Thanks for all the critiques! I appreciate the advice, I like all the edits you guys did. Maybe I got carried away with the proccessing. I wanted the feathers to look really fluffy so I reduced the clarity in the pictures but I should have just done that on the feathers and not the whole photograph. The baby was is 3 months old but she is really tiny and she has blue eyes. I will probably start from scratch with the processing, the photos are definatly way under exposed, they didnt look as dark on the camera but when I uploaded them I thought ... uh oh, ive messed up! I processed them all differently so now that ive got some great advice I will start again with the originals! Thanks for all your help :)

Thanks for all the critiques! I appreciate the advice, I like all the edits you guys did. Maybe I got carried away with the proccessing. I wanted the feathers to look really fluffy so I reduced the clarity in the pictures but I should have just done that on the feathers and not the whole photograph. The baby was is 3 months old but she is really tiny and she has blue eyes. I will probably start from scratch with the processing, the photos are definatly way under exposed, they didnt look as dark on the camera but when I uploaded them I thought ... uh oh, ive messed up! I processed them all differently so now that ive got some great advice I will start again with the originals! Thanks for all your help :)

Using your screen was a big mistake use the histogram

hayleyfraser24 said:

You should actually try taking the pictures over again. I haven't seen all the pictures but if your settings were the same then the eyes are all so underexposed that you won't be able to recover the color in them and make it look natural. The mom is going to want to see her babies blue eyes and the eyes are the most important part of a portrait!

the photos are definatly way under exposed, they didnt look as dark on the camera but when I uploaded them I thought ... uh oh, ive messed up!
The rear LCD on the camera is not accurate enough to be used to critically judge the exposure by looking at the photo. You have to look at the histogram, and preferably the histogram that displays all 3 color channels.

Visit the following group of short tutorials:

Tones & Contrast
Understanding Histograms, Part 1: Tones & Contrast
Understanding Histograms, Part 2: Luminosity & Color
Using the "Levels" Tool in Photoshop
Using the "Curves" Tool in Photoshop
Understanding Image Posterization

I think that your orginal edits are too much flair the vignettes etc, With newborns remember to keep it simple. You did a good job for your first time, just learn your lighting... ( i learning too)

i did re edit the pictures and with everyones advice i think Ive done a better job this time... I will take on board everyones tips for next time, here are 2 of the edits I did

DSC05352.jpg

DSC05285-1.jpg

I tried to keep it simple this time, I hope you all think that this is an improvement!:) Thanks again, the advice you all gave really has helped me :)

does anyone know the best way to get rid of the bright orange finger in the first re-edit I did?! Also she has a very small scratch on the left side of her head in the second edit... would you clone this out or leave it?

Clone out the scratch. The skin on the Second image looks completely different then the second. I would check your white balance on that one. Also, the eyes in the second one aren't as dark as your originals but they are still too dark compared to the first new edit. What are you using Photoshop or gimp?

Clone out the scratch. The skin on the Second image looks completely different then the second. I would check your white balance on that one. Also, the eyes in the second one aren't as dark as your originals but they are still too dark compared to the first new edit. What are you using Photoshop or gimp?

I actualy only use lightroom, I have gimp but I dont really know my way around it yet, I have not had much experience with portraits I usually do landscapes so I have not felt the need for photoshop or gimp, I always found that lightroom was enough for me but I think for these kind of edits I should look at some tutorials for usng gimp!

In lightroom there is an adjustment brush right? You could try playing around with the settings in the adjustment brush to get rid of the orange. Does lightroom have a healing brush? I know lightroom and camera raw in Photoshop are the same so I'm assuming you have both of those - I would just try playing around with it some more. Was the babies finger that orange in real life or did it occur during editing? If it was that orange in real life - what was that baby getting into LOL :)

In lightroom there is an adjustment brush right? You could try playing around with the settings in the adjustment brush to get rid of the orange. Does lightroom have a healing brush? I know lightroom and camera raw in Photoshop are the same so I'm assuming you have both of those - I would just try playing around with it some more. Was the babies finger that orange in real life or did it occur during editing? If it was that orange in real life - what was that baby getting into LOL :)

thanks, I will try and do some more adjusting! :)

i like your photos, ababysean! i especially love the black and white! how far from the black backdrop would you place your subjects when photographing? in the picture of the baby's head and the hands cradling the head, where are the parents standing? those pics are so great! i'm a beginner and i only do my family's outdoor portraits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back