first camera

b2k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi, i`m new here and i want to buy myself a good camera to begin photography. for now i`m looking at the canon s5 is. is this a good camera to begin with? is there other models that would be better? i don`t want to spend more then 600$ for my camera.

for now all i got is a point and shoot style camera and no manual mode. it would be great if you would help me out.

(p.s. sorry to the mods if i didn`t post at the right place:oops:)

Yeah on a budget of $600, definitely go for a digital SLR. You'll love it! For that much money you can get a decent body like an Canon XT/XTi or a Nikon D40 along with an extra lens or two.

I started photography with an s3is, within a 6 month period of learning the manual modes I felt restricted. The S5 is nice and if you are not worried about bein gheld back by the way it handles low light without flash then it will be no problem at all.

If you are considering getting into a photography in a big way, then see if you can get a DSLR -maybe a used one, in the long run it could save you money,

If not the s5 is a great little camera

I started photography with an s3is, within a 6 month period of learning the manual modes I felt restricted. The S5 is nice and if you are not worried about bein gheld back by the way it handles low light without flash then it will be no problem at all.

If you are considering getting into a photography in a big way, then see if you can get a DSLR -maybe a used one, in the long run it could save you money,

If not the s5 is a great little camera

I had the Canon PowerShot S2 IS and after awhile i felt i was restricted. I am a logic person and understanding aperature and exposure and shutter speed interested me and I also wanted a clear view (SLR) instead of looking at a small LCD screen in the S2 IS view finder. Ya the S2 IS was nice but I wanted something more.

I recommend a Canon Rebel XTi or Rebel XT
Canon Rebel XSi (newest)
Canon Rebel XTi (sorta new)
Canon Rebel XT (little older)

The XSi just came out this year I believe, I myself have the XTi and am very happy with it.

thanks for the tips!:mrgreen:
i think i will go with your advices and buy myself a dslr. the nikon d40. it`s in my price range and i think it has all the funcions a want.

if you have other comments and sugestions it would be cool. if some one has a d40 here, it would be nice if he could do come kind of review.

dpreview has a good review

also search on youtube theres loads of demo vids

thanks Rogan! i think i made my choice. The d40 it will be. do you have some sugestions on accesories that i should buy such as tripod, transport bag, ...

this forum is awesome, LOTS of good advice and people:mrgreen: thanks a lot

thanks Rogan! i think i made my choice. The d40 it will be. do you have some sugestions on accesories that i should buy such as tripod, transport bag, ...

this forum is awesome, LOTS of good advice and people:mrgreen: thanks a lot

make sure u get at least 4GB of memory so you can play with shooting raw

if you have enough cash make sure u get a filter or two just cheap ones to protect the lens, an extra battery depending on where your shooting :)

and as u said, definately a tripod and bag :)

Most reactions

Back