"First" camera...

Ele Keats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm sure there are a ton of these but:
I'm in need of a camera, badly. I don't really need anything super expensive or nice, since right now I'm just doing the "hobby thing" where I'm slowly trying to improve my skills, so that someday I may turn that hobby into a job. =)
I did have a sony cybershot a while back but the LCD screen got messed up and now I can't use it. =( I also have been using my school's yearbook camera, (not sure what kind it is, but it's nice) but I had to return it for the summer. So right now I'm without a camera and it's driving me crazy! I want to eventually get something really nice, but I don't even know where to start!
I'm probably looking at buying a film camera as opposed to digital for now. I need un-vague suggestions. If any of you have some, that would be awesome.

Why would you be leaning towards a film camera rather than digital? Film costs really do start to add up after a while.

There are soooo many different Point and Shoot digital cameras out there on the market at the moment ranging from 1mp camera phones to 8pm fake dslr's. The biggest question to consider when you're buying a Point and Shoot is how much money do you have to spend?

Also consider - how good is your eyesight? Can you deal with a tiny LCD screen or would a big one like on the Sony DSC-T1?
What are you going to be doing with your photos? - Are you planning on printing them, emailing them or showing them on tv etc? If you're just going to be emailing them around and looking at them on the computer - you don't really need a big 5MP camera (although you generally get other good stuff with those cameras that you don't get in the 2mp cameras).

I bought a small 2MP camera (Konica Minolta X20) before coming over to europe for 2 reasons. a) I wanted it to be small so I could keep it in my handbag with me everywhere and b) I was only going to be emailing the pics back to my parents. oh and c) I also wanted webcam capabilities to talk with the family.
That's the only digital camera I have atm (here with me) but it does the job, takes great pics considering it's tiny size.

But first question.. How much money do you want to spend?

Thanks for your reply. =)

About the money...
I'm a semi-broke teenager who's small amounts of money goes mainly toward gas, unfortunately. My job doesn't pay that well, so the money runs out fast. I'm thinking I should limit myself to $200-300 if I want to get one soon. The thing is, should I just pace myself and wait longer so I can spend more, or is there a cheap, nice camera out there?

i would look at KEH.com and see what kind of film cameras you can get. youll learn the art of film and then you can gravitate towards the digital side if you like.

take a look at the Canon AE-1, AE-1P, and maybe something along the lines of the Nikon FM10 if you want to go nikon's way.

good luck!

md

I think an important question is do you want a SLR style camera, or will a point-n-shoot model with some manual controls keep you busy for a while.

If you want an SLR and you only have $200 to $300 then you have to go film, although I don't think you have to spend more than $100 to get a good camera. There are lots of clean, used, mechanical, manual focus SLRs available for cheap. Save your money for film and processing. Even with cheap film and cheap processing it's at least $8 per roll (24 exp or so). If you go with a pro lab that jumps to $15 to $20 per roll. To learn you have to shoot, so this can add up quickly.

If a point-n-shoot with some manual controls will suit your needs for now, then I'd say go digital. You should be able to find a decent digicam with some exposure controls for under $500. Assuming you already have a computer you can shoot unlimited for free, and I think that the near instant feedback would help the learning process, as most folks aren't very good at taking notes, and remembering what they were doing a week before when they took the pics.

Film is a wonderful thing though. Maybe you can get one of each? You can get a Ricoh KR-5 SLR on Ebay for about $30. It was my first SLR, and is a quality (if uncool) 35mm SLR quite suitable for learning photography with. Then spend the rest of your money on a digi-cam and film and processing. Take a darkroom class, and you can reduce your film processing costs by doing it yourself (although most darkrooms will probably be BW only).

I agree with what Matt is saying. There are lots of inexpensive film cameras out there, and there is something about going through a darkroom class that will totally change your appreciation for your developing camera skills. It is wonderful to know how to control the process from start to finish, it's an important part of the learning curve.

Getting a very basic SLR with manual controls will not only be dirt cheap, but there are tons of them out there so you'll have the chance to look them all over. KEH is also a great source, and the folks there will be able to help you decide which models would suit you best.

I learned on an aperture-priority Pentax ME with only a 50mm lens. When I was ready to spend *real* money and could have bought a digital, I stuck with a film Pentax (the MZ-S) and went through a few beginning photography classes with it, since it could go fully manual. For me it was a great decision. :thumbup:

Auto elec : EOS 5 , EOS30/33
F75 , F80

they are all great cameras but not expensive, i really like EOS 5 ,very cheap and u can get a single No. CanonEOS

I've been checking out most of the suggestions you guys have made. Thank you a whol lot! You guys have been a big help. =)

I have sort of been looking at these: I've been using a cannon (for my yearbook class), so I'm pretty comfortable with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7521007806&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7520998674&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

The first one has this insainely long description, but I have no idea what any of it means. :blushing: Which one would be the better buy? Is that a nice camera, or should I keep looking for something different?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
those are ok cameras, but honestly, i would choose a fully manual camera. the reason for this is i can really learn photography and the techniques behind it. but if you are looking for an automatic SLR, those two are a good starting point.

Nikon FM
Minolta X series
-just two great options

Alright, so I've been looking up manuals and I found great reviews for the Nikon FM, and everywhere it says that it's a great student camera.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=107925&item=7522226363&rd=1

I found this and I'm happy about the "buy it now" option because I'm not keen on waiting. =) Maybe I'm rushing, but I'm really contemplating this one if I wind up getting a manual. What do you guys think?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I also just found out that there is a second hand camera store around here. So maybe I should go there and look around before I decide to buy anything.

Most reactions

Back