First Child Photoshoot (Feedback Appreciated)

Koshua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did my first child photoshoot last week of my baby cousin Navy Mae! She's definitely a cutie, but did my photos do her justice? I know someone is going to mention the bib (I did too), but my aunt really wanted it on because it was a very expensive gift from her mother in law. (8 Photos)

DSC--8 by Joshua Kemmer, on Flickr

DSC--10 by Joshua Kemmer, on Flickr

DSC--7 by Joshua Kemmer, on Flickr

DSC--11 by Joshua Kemmer, on Flickr

DSC--14 by Joshua Kemmer, on Flickr

DSC--17 by Joshua Kemmer, on Flickr

DSC--20 by Joshua Kemmer, on Flickr

DSC--13 by Joshua Kemmer, on Flickr

Good job. Never crop off any part of your subject's head. So don't show the ones that do.

She's beautiful and you have some very nice photos -- good job with the camera.

The post processing raises some concerns with color and tone response. Her skin color is pretty yellow and it looks like you've deliberately removed any kind of black point from the photos -- looking a little dingy. Did you apply some LR preset to these?

Compare this with your #3 photo:

navy_mae2.jpg

I adjusted her skin color to be more normal and adjusted the overall tone response.

Joe

Last edited:
Good job. Never crop off any part of your subject's head. So don't show the ones that do.

What about ones that are cropped in a little bit more than normal, like #8?

She's beautiful and you have some very nice photos -- good job with the camera.

The post processing raises some concerns with color and tone response. Her skin color is pretty yellow and it looks like you've deliberately removed any kind of black point from the photos -- looking a little dingy. Did you apply some LR preset to these?

Compare this with your #3 photo:

View attachment 126349

I adjusted her skin color to be more normal and adjusted the overall tone response.

Joe

I love editing, but I'm terrible at it. I always look back at my photos from a while ago and think, "What the heck was I doing?!"

That being said, I didn't use a preset, but I raised the shadows quite a bit. Some of the photos got so dark around her eyes and chin that she looked like a raccoon, and I was scared that if I didn't lighten the shadows on all of the photos, they would feel too different. I'll probably have to go back in and change it, I see what you mean.

I agree the color tone seems to be off. with out knowing how the childs skin tone looks like in person here is a quick edit.
navy_mae2.jpg

Editing these reveals a problem that is too typical of faces shot outside.
The tops of cheeks and foreheads are almost blown out while the undersides are still a bit dingy.
Since the top of the head is OOF, it can be fixed a bit but I'm not sure that the color is right yet.
A color checker is invaluable in situations like this.

upload_2016-8-21_15-41-36.png

Most reactions

New Topics

Back