First couple shoot, C&C

Dinardy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was asked to shoot a few sets for my good friends in preparation for their wedding. I have known this guy and his family for about 20 years, his fiancé for about 7. When his fiancé approached me for the shoot, I was nervous about it. I didn't want to give them photos that they wouldn't enjoy. Posing, was tough. The little things that you miss while in the shoot really suck down the road, oh well I guess they got a good price for it all. I believe these will be used for the little invitations to the wedding.

I am in no way a professional nor do I plan to be anytime soon. I have already picked these photos apart myself, hopefully what I hear here, will help get me on the right track.

For this shoot I brought along two naked speedlights with wireless triggers and were mostly shot with my 80-200 2.8. These were shot at Gasworks Park in Seattle.

Knapp-2495 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

Knapp-2465 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

Knapp-2482-2 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

Knapp-2529 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

Knapp-2517-2 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

Knapp-2599 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

Knapp-2433-2 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

Knapp-2568 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

In one and three her face is in the shadows. But just to let you know that these are pretty good overall.

I'm not that crazy about the location in 1,2,3. I don't like the mudhole looking thing in the background. And the concrete is distracting up close and unattractive at a distance. They seem to be relaxed and genuine in the shots, which is the positive.

6 and 7 are my favorites *6 also could have used some OCF (off camera flash)

1/3/4 would have benefited from some fill light.
5's background is blown out, try adjusting the Shutter speed (it controls the ambient light)

2 would have benefited IF you would have not cropped the footsies

Nice lookig couple....keep shooting

Like John says - this is just my .02 cents....

In one and three her face is in the shadows. But just to let you know that these are pretty good overall.

Thanks! Yes I need stands, badly.

I'm not that crazy about the location in 1,2,3. I don't like the mudhole looking thing in the background. And the concrete is distracting up close and unattractive at a distance. They seem to be relaxed and genuine in the shots, which is the positive.

Thanks for the time you took to critique. At least they were comfortable lol.

It was raining at the location, I think there were better spots out there, but we were kind of over it once the rain started to pour. I also could crop tighter on the concrete structures. Thanks!

6 and 7 are my favorites *6 also could have used some OCF (off camera flash)

1/3/4 would have benefited from some fill light.
5's background is blown out, try adjusting the Shutter speed (it controls the ambient light)

2 would have benefited IF you would have not cropped the footsies

Nice lookig couple....keep shooting

Like John says - this is just my .02 cents....

This post was very helpful, thank you so much!

In one and three her face is in the shadows.

Holy shade-face, Batman!

The woman's complexion is darker than the man's, yet she was in shade and he was more in the light. Perhaps such things are difficult to ascertain while in the moment, but with practice, you should be able to know this. Place the woman's face more prominently than the man's face. Make sure the light is on her, not him. Whether you use a flash or reflector, or none at all, this is something you ought to know.

#2 her hair blew in front of her face. That shot was spoiled, so I hope you grabbed another one or two with that pose after asking her to move her hair. Subjects won't know there is a problem with hair, clothing, backgrounds, light, or pose, so it is the photographer's responsibility to watch for those things and make adjustments as required.

Holy shade-face, Batman!

The woman's complexion is darker than the man's, yet she was in shade and he was more in the light. Perhaps such things are difficult to ascertain while in the moment, but with practice, you should be able to know this. Place the woman's face more prominently than the man's face. Make sure the light is on her, not him. Whether you use a flash or reflector, or none at all, this is something you ought to know.

#2 her hair blew in front of her face. That shot was spoiled, so I hope you grabbed another one or two with that pose after asking her to move her hair. Subjects won't know there is a problem with hair, clothing, backgrounds, light, or pose, so it is the photographer's responsibility to watch for those things and make adjustments as required.

Wow those are some key pointers, that I completely missed. I'll have to put an order in for stands to better aim my lighting. It was a VERY windy area, we were struggling with it. I stepped out of my comfort zone and did make many more adjustments than I have in the past.

Windy days you're going to need an assistant to hold a reflector or keep a light stand from tipping over. A good assistant will help you watch for blowing hair, showing bra straps, etc.

#'s 7 & 8 are the best IMO.

Congratulations on your first engagement shoot!

Holy shade-face, Batman!

This is so right.
She has lots of make-up and he is sort of pale (and unshaven).
You need to 'see' these things before you press the button.

#5 is a good example.
There is lots of empty, bright space - and your role is to make them important so remove as much distraction as you can.

There are some odd color tints here, perhaps reflection off the wall to the right.
But you can soften and listen here and darken his face.
He is OOF a bit.
The DOF is about 2/25 inches so you've focused on her and he is in front of the focus.

Print it on a really textured paper and no one will know.

cgm0c.jpg

That's like cheating, Lew.

But it's good cheating.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back