First dslr - Canon or Nikon

I think the editing software Canon ships with, DPP, is better than Nikon's software. Nikon camera's have a pretty noticeable edge in dynamic range, which is to me, the single most-important metric. Why? Look at sunset photos, and the way the sun just "blows out" in that awful, digital manner, in the Canon shots.

Check out this video at around the 25 minute mark

I know this is not the same exact two cameras you are considering, but Canon uses the same sensor in all its lower-end bodies, and Nikon also now uses a 24 MP sensor across the D5200/D5300/7100 line. The degree of dynamic range difference is about the same in the T3i vs D5200 as the 70D vs the D7100.

If you're just buying a camera, you'll probably not be able to appreciate a lot of the differences between the two systems, and it'll take a few years before you can "leverage" either system really well, so the choice is not that critical. Yet. I think the above video is one of the better ones available to show some of the main differences between the two brands and their "look", although I really disagree with his conclusion about which is "easier" to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mentioned that "shooting in HD is a must".

If you're going to be big on video with it, then you probably should be a looking at a Canon 70D. This camera has a HUGE advantage over everything else when it comes to video because it has a new sensor which is actually capable of doing "phase detect" auto-focus on the sensor itself. This is something no other DSLR camera on the market can do.

Everyone else can only do "phase detect" auto-focus when the camera is being used normally for photography... but not for video. For video they have to do "contrast detect" focus (which isn't nearly as good.)

Another nice advantage is the Canon "STM" lenses. These lenses use stepper-motor technology which is virtually silent. The lenses were designed to be so quiet that the built-in mic on the camera would not be able to pick up the sound of the focus motors in the lens when shooting video. But additionally, Canon really bumped up the optical quality on these new STM lenses. I've noticed that the new STM lenses seem to only cost about $50 more than their non-STM counterparts... which is bargain considering they are significantly faster, quieter, and have higher optical quality.

I agree the 70D is very easy to use with the touch screen, wifi connection, flip screen and the new AF in live view.

You mentioned that "shooting in HD is a must".

If you're going to be big on video with it, then you probably should be a looking at a Canon 70D. This camera has a HUGE advantage over everything else when it comes to video because it has a new sensor which is actually capable of doing "phase detect" auto-focus on the sensor itself. This is something no other DSLR camera on the market can do.

That's amusing...but take a look at ACTUAL VIDEO shot by the Canon 70D in the above comparison video...the 70D outputting HORRIBLE, moire-riddled video that's simply awful...yeah, he wants that!

Video and autofocus during shots goes together a lot like babies and bibs...the grown-ups don't use bibs.

Unless he wants to make professional videos, moire is hardly a problem and easy avoided.

While a guide mode is nice, I would not pick a d3200 over a d5200 just because of this. Chances are that you will only use the guide in the beginning but the flip screen for example on the higher spec camera would always be handy.

Either camera you mention would be nice. Whichever one you get it may be nice to add a fast 50mm lens and a speedlight (even 3rd part version such as a yongnuo yn 465). The 50mm lens is a good portrait lens for the type of camera you are considering

Guess it depends - when he mentioned both he and his wife I'm assuming both will be using the camera, and while one of them might go gangbusters and want to learn all the ins and outs of the new camera, the other might not. They might prefer something that will let them use it in a more point and shoot type mode all the time, hence I recommend he peruse the D3200. The 5200 would certainly be my choice between the two, but then again I shoot in manual mode pretty much 100% of the time so a guide mode for me would be useless.

The flip out screen has no value for me personally, neither does in camera HDR - they are not features I use or would care about. So really when folks ask me for an opinion like this I prefer to point out what I feel are there best options based on the info I have at hand, point out the differences between them, then let the OP make the final choice because honestly I have no idea how important a feature like a flip out screen (or any other feature) might be to them. It might be they are like me and it's a "could care less" sort of feature, or for them it could be a deal breaker. Not a mind reader so I don't know. But the camera choice should be based on there needs and wants, not mine.. or yours for that matter.

ya whatever

What a wonderful, well thought out response! Rotfl

I won't disagree with you in principle on the 70d, I can only go with what I've read because I've never actually used one - however it should be pointed out that the 70d has an price tag of usually $1000+ for just the body, whereas the cameras he mentioned he was looking at are roughly half of that for the camera and the basic kit lens included. I also certainly don't wish to start or participate in any Canon vrs Nikon flame war here, but it should be pointed out that even at half the price the d5100 still has better image quality for stills than the 70d does, in addition to better noise at high ISO performance.

Now the 70d does have less shutter lag, shoots very fast (7 fps as opposed to the D5100's 4 FPS) - but of course your comparing a camera that costs almost twice as much so one would expect it to be better in most categories. But even for twice the price, the image quality is still roughly 20% less than the IQ on a D5100.

The STM lenses, well again never tried them so I'll have to take your word for it. Sounds like a great piece of tech that would be nice to have - but again by it needs to be mentioned that by the time the OP buys the body and one STM He's looking at an investment of probably close to $1500, or about 3 times what he was considering investing in his initial setup, so I guess he'll have to evaluate his budget and see if the 70d really offers enough advantages to warrant the much larger price tag.

I'm not going to spend more than the price of t5i with the lens. That's my humble budget :(
I'm actually still leaning towards the t5i. Here's why:
The kit lens is better and silent.
There's a good editing software included in the package.
Touch screen is very convenient when learning.
AF is faster.
I can perhaps borrow a lens from a friend who uses Canon.

I really appreciate all of your comments and answers.

Andras

Sendt fra min GT-I9100 med Tapatalk

I'm not going to spend more than the price of t5i with the lens. That's my humble budget :(
AF is faster.

Andras

Well if you feel the canon meets your needs better, by all means. One thing I would probably do though would be to talk to your friend about this lens borrowing thing before you add that one to your list though. Being good enough friends to lay down your life for someone is one thing.. but loaning out a lens? Wow. Lol...

Well if you feel the canon meets your needs better, by all means. One thing I would probably do though would be to talk to your friend about this lens borrowing thing before you add that one to your list though. Being good enough friends to lay down your life for someone is one thing.. but loaning out a lens? Wow. Lol...[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right ;)

AF is faster.

Andras

Oh, and not trying to talk you out of your choice of canon here, but to set the record straight. The standard kit lens on a canon uses USM, Nikon uses SWM (Ultrasonic Motor vrs Silent Wave Motor). From what I've seen the noise level produced is amost identical. Also the difference between the standard kit lens on the Nikon and that of the Canon are almost negligble as well in real world tests. From what I've seen I'd give a slight edge to the canon lens at the 18mm range and the edge to the Nikon at 55 mm - but opinions vary on this widely. Anyone who has used both and is willling to give an unbiased opinion will tell you about the same.

Touch screen - well if that's a feature you like fantastic. Personally I hate them with a passion. The only touchscreens that are big enough for my bear paws to work properly are way to heavy to carry around so not a feature I ever want in a camera. But if they work great for you then sounds like the T5i might be a good option.

As far as faster autofocus, for video that is true. The T5I does use phase detection which is faster. Not sure how much of a real world benefit that might be, I don't do video.

Ok, now that the record is straight - hope you enjoy the new camera!

AF is faster.

Andras

I'm sure you'll like it -- and the new STM lenses are quite an upgrade from the old micro-motor AF lenses (those were the basic AF lenses generally included as "kit" lenses on many bodies.) The new STM motors are faster, MUCH quieter, allow full-time manual override on focus, have a new element arrangement resulting in sharper (more detail resolving and better contrast), internal focusing (the front of the lens does not rotate as you focus -- very nice when you are using a polarizing filter) and the price difference vs. the old lens is small (I think they're about $50 more than the old technology which is quite nice considering how much better they are.) Lastly... they have 7 rounded aperture blades vs 6 on the old model -- just a tiny bit better quality on the quality of blur.

Incidentally, the new STM lenses are "focus by wire" -- there is no mechanical linkage from the focus ring to the focusing elements in the lens. So if you do manually focus, you'll discover that you do have to wake up the focusing system to use it (usually just a half-press of the shutter button will wake it up.)

For DSLR its Canon everytime for me, I think Nikon does focus more on pictures, they usually compete themeselves in the whole megapixel world but that truly doesnt matter... But video Canon hands down owns that feature, as mentioned above the new STM technology is impressive... You factor that in with great image focusing, better lens model and better prices and its a no brainer.

Most reactions

Back