First dslr - Canon or Nikon

I guess I'm just old (school) l prefer a viewfinder. Allows me to focus on composition. Liveview sucks down battery life. I was film trained and so I may be in need of updating myself. Love digital, but still have that film (get right on first frame as I may not get another chance) attitude.

profound thinking about stuff

I guess I'm just old (school) l prefer a viewfinder. Allows me to focus on composition. Liveview sucks down battery life. I was film trained and so I may be in need of updating myself. Love digital, but still have that film (get right on first frame as I may not get another chance) attitude.
The advantages to a mirror on film are apparent. The SLR was a brilliant solution.

IME: at least the pros with film were still taking burst shots.

Getting rid of the mirror doesn't mean getting rid of the viewfinder. It just means putting a screen in there.

Power consumption would, presumably, rise when not shooting. OTOH, you no longer have to power the mechanics of the mirror. Don't know whether the trade-off is advantageous or not.

profound thinking about stuff

I guess that makes me old school too - I've never used liveview. Come to think of it I have an articulating screen and after attaching a screen protector to it and flipping it around so I can see the menu if needed, it hasn't moved at all. I have the preview mode shutoff so it doesn't try to display the photo's as they are taken, which saves a ton of battery life and makes the camera fire noticeably faster.

I've owned a couple of bridge cameras, and really dislike EVF. There is always a lag updating no matter how good the system is, and the longer your burst, the worse the lag gets. Makes action shots a real pain. So I'll stick with DSLR myself for a long time to come, because frankly nothing beats the good old flip up mirror.

Sorry... but in my opinion asking Canon or Nikon is akin to Chevy or Ford... both companies make exemplary products and at the end of the day what it comes down to what works best for you. I've been a Nikon fan since a friend of my mothers gave me an F2 with a 50-f/1.2 lens in the early 1980's. It absolutely does not mean Nikon is superior, only that I have a preference for that brand because the first high end camera I used was Nikon.

Sorry... but in my opinion asking Canon or Nikon is akin to Chevy or Ford... both companies make exemplary products and at the end of the day what it comes down to what works best for you. I've been a Nikon fan since a friend of my mothers gave me an F2 with a 50-f/1.2 lens in the early 1980's. It absolutely does not mean Nikon is superior, only that I have a preference for that brand because the first high end camera I used was Nikon.

I'm a Nikon guy myself, but I can certainly understand why some folks go Canon. For me it's about features - when you compare Nikon's to Canon's in the same price range (at least in most cases until you get up to the $1500 + range for the body) the Nikon has the better dynamic range and the better low light abilities when compared to the similarly priced Canon offering. Whereas Canon generally has better features for shooting video and in most cases higher FPS than the similarly priced Nikon.

So really for me when I recommend cameras I try to find out what features are most important to the person asking first before I recommend one or the other.

And...how important those features are in conjunction with the software used, where and how they post the pictures and how much difference it makes in the real world. Real world being Flickr and FB and all over the spiderweb super highway. Generally.

For video... I have two Canon VIXIA HF G10 cameras, for still photo's I have one Nikon D7000.

And I took a lot of stills with the Vixia.

And I took a lot of stills with the Vixia.

Lol.. well I'd love to get to the point someday where I can support two camera systems so I can have more than one on hand, but not quite there yet. I'm slowly building up my Nikon equipment list, so far I've been very happy with it. Wouldn't mind owning a Canon at some point, but for now it just isn't in the budget to have both, so I'll stick with one till I get it to the point where I want it, then I might consider branching out a bit.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! KISS KISS KISS!

Also once you pick one brand it's hard to switch over to another brand because then you wouldn't be able to use any of your old lens. So make sure you get what you want the first time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back