First DSLR Canon XSi or 40D?

^ no its brand specific...

Honestly, I own the 40D and its a GREAT camera. The only problem is that its a bit noisy... the shutter that is. If your taking a serious approach to photography, get the 40D. Trust me on this, even though there are only minor differences in the two, there will be situations where you will want to be able to do something that the XSi cant do that the 40D does. For example, the 40D shoots 6.5 FPS, top LCD (priceless), thumb wheel, more ISO settings, and that self cleaning sensor. Dont skimp on quality because of price... in some situations you can, but this is not one of them. If you have to wait a bit longer to save for the 40D, I would recommend you do.

If you already made up your mind, then the XSi is not a bad camera at all... And remember, like someone else mentioned, the lens is what makes the shot. The camera plays a role, but the lens and the lighting are key. The lens included with the 40D really isnt a bad lens at all, but it does make the camera a bit heavy.

Last edited:
^ no its brand specific...

Honestly, I own the 40D and its a GREAT camera. The only problem is that its a bit noisy... the shutter that is. If your taking a serious approach to photography, get the 40D. Trust me on this, even though there are only minor differences in the two, there will be situations where you will want to be able to do something that the XSi cant do that the 40D does. For example, the 40D shoots 6.5 FPS, top LCD (priceless), thumb wheel, more ISO settings, and that self cleaning sensor. Dont skimp on quality because of price... in some situations you can, but this is not one of them. If you have to wait a bit longer to save for the 40D, I would recommend you do.

If you already made up your mind, then the XSi is not a bad camera at all... And remember, like someone else mentioned, the lens is what makes the shot. The camera plays a role, but the lens and the lighting are key. The lens included with the D40 really isnt a bad lens at all, but it does make the camera a bit heavy.

I still have not made my mind up yet. I would get the 40d in a heart beat but I just need to determine if I want to spend that much. As I do more looking around, I get more and more interested. so i guess the question is since I am on a tight budget is it worth it?

Mep42, I am in the same boat as you, I am able to make a quite a bit of money of my Panasonic projector that I am trying to sell. It's 1600 street price but I am going to sell it for a grand. If I can then I can make enough to buy the 40D. But the XSi is just a bit cheaper and still a good camera...DECISIONS!!!

I was (almost) in the same boat as you were few months ago, thus I bought the XTi (400D). It was good camera and I invested on my lens (not too expensive but I am satisfied with sharpness).

After holding the 40D in a camera shop, I fell in love with it and decided to replace my XTi which is only 3 months old. Shooting manual is easier with the 40D.

I think there are a lot of people out there with our problem deciding about the 40d. I know I will not go wrong with it if I buy its just , trying to convince myself to pay that much. I dont want to spend more than 1,000 USD. They have plenty of options on ebay for 40d's with the canon 18-55 IS and all this other stuff with it (crap). so i will keep looking for a good price.

I think there are a lot of people out there with our problem deciding about the 40d. I know I will not go wrong with it if I buy its just , trying to convince myself to pay that much. I dont want to spend more than 1,000 USD. They have plenty of options on ebay for 40d's with the canon 18-55 IS and all this other stuff with it (crap). so i will keep looking for a good price.

40D does have a metal chasis. The XXD is the line that's intended to be a step up from the Rebels. Whatever you do, don't bring MP into the equation. I have a 300D that I can very well still print off 30"x45" enlargements because I use a quality printer and edit to their specifications. It's 6mp. It's not my main camera, but I still threaten to bust it out just to shoot with the guys that have the really expensive gear.

Seriously go play with them. I had an XTI as well and after moving to the 30D, I don't really like shooting with the rebels. The XXD series has a top mount lcd and controls which allow you to change settings like ISO without going into the camera menu. You also have a scroll wheel which lets you change the aperture without having to hold down an additional button and use the shutter wheel to change it, like on the rebel line. They also have slightly faster AF, iirc. I don't know if they changed this on the XSI, but on the previous Rebels, you can only change ISO in full stop increments, so you're limited to 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, where as on the XXD series you can change it in 1/3 steps, which gives you a higher degree of control.

That's what the next step up in Canon's line up is about though, better control. And IQ will be the same. They both use the DIGIC III processor. Also, the XSI is the first camera in Canon's line up that only uses SD cards and doesn't accept CF, which every other current camera (unless the XS is out at the moment) takes CF cards.

It's up to you, but I like to reccomend the better body. You can always purchase the 40D without a lens and buy seperately. That or look at a 30D. They're going for about $700 new, iirc. That's a good deal.

I am fully aware that this may not be an option for you, but if you can rent the 2 cameras and try before you buy, that will help your purchasing decision...

If your really not that sure, then I say go with the XSi. Chances are, if you dont really know how the different features will help you, then you may never use them.

Whenever I am in the market for something, I look at all brands and models across the board. I use the internet to find out as much as I can about the item and then I narrow things down by features, not my budget (this method may not work for all). Then I take the high priced ones and the low priced ones and compare the features of each. Usually I end up with an item in the mid price rang and then I compare its features with the top end model... Find out if you will need/use those features and then make your decision. You may go slightly overbudget, as I usually do...

You might just want to follow Village Idiots advice. My first response basically reiterated what he said... and I agree 100%. But try and use both of them before hand... as a matter of fact if you go into Best Buy or other retail store, they have them on display and you can get a feel for them there.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Chances are, if you dont really know how the different features will help you, then you may never use them.

:banghead:

I bet the guy doesn't know how to use a flash or manual mode or a manual focus lens. Hell at that he should just stick with a point and shoot since he'll never use any of those features. Learning about things is a crock too...might as well avoid that. Ignorance is bliss.

I was trying to figure out if I should save the money and get a 40D over the XTI..I decided to just save up for another month and get the 40D..I usually do that with everything though.. It usually is worth it in the end to just buy the better one.

But I'm sure you will be happy with the XSI...Just try not to buy the cheapest lenses..I've used crappy lenses before, the difference will amaze you.

The 40D is easier to use just for the simple fact that it has two different dials. With the XTi you have to go into menus to change ISO, WB, etc. With the 40D you just turn the dial. Also, the 40D will make the transition (if you ever decide to) to the 5D, 1D, any other higher end Canon camera much easier. The 20D, 30D, 40D, 5D, 1D (Mk whatever), all share the same type of design and feel...for the most part.

Also, the 40D is a much better camera in terms of how it handles noise, and image quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back