First DSLR Purchase

Venetian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Complete newbie here. I've always used "point & shoots" and just recently gotten into DSLR's. I've been researching online for months and want to finally purchase my first one.

I'm a family man on a single income so money is a huge factor. I'm also, like I mentioned, a complete beginner so I think entry-level cameras are all I need to look at. Right now I'm seriously considering either the D3000 or D5000. I have 2 small children and I'll be shooting mostly family photos...of vacations and such. Just trying to capture memories. I'll probably keep the same camera body for several years (maybe 3 or more).

Just wondering if the D3000 is likely to be enough camera for me, or if the extra money on the D5000 would be a better investment. The less I can spend the better, but I don't want to regret buying something 1 year down the road.

Thanks for any help guys! Also, nice forum. :lol:

Check out this nice Nikon D40 package on adorama. It comes with a memory card and a little case for $439. You can also use bing to get 10% cashback (Takes 60 days but thats still 40 dollars)

INKD40KG Nikon D40 Digital Camera/ Lens Kit w/18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Lens, Sandisk Ultra 4GB SD Memory Card, Nikon SLR system gadget bag And Nikon "Fast, Fun & Easy" DVD

Check out www.kenrockwell.com and check out his review on the D3000 and then the D40. He seems biased towards the D40 a lot of the time but what he writes in the reviews make sense.

Check out www.kenrockwell.com and check out his review on the D3000 and then the D40. He seems biased towards the D40 a lot of the time but what he writes in the reviews make sense.

Before you do too much reading there, read the "about" section. It really puts some of his stuff in perspective. As long as you have a sense of humor, and know a joke when you see it - he has a pretty good site.

Before you do too much reading there, read the "about" section. It really puts some of his stuff in perspective. As long as you have a sense of humor, and know a joke when you see it - he has a pretty good site.

I find Ken Rockwell to be arrogant and conceited (people say the same about me so... take my opinion with a grain of salt). He DOES have good advice and reviews at times. That said, I agree with the D40 as a good entry-level camera.

I find Ken Rockwell to be arrogant and conceited (people say the same about me so... take my opinion with a grain of salt). He DOES have good advice and reviews at times. That said, I agree with the D40 as a good entry-level camera.

Yeah I agree with that as well but he has good write ups on the cameras. If you look at the actual facts rather then his opinions you are better off. And he has almost every nikon camera and lens on his site so I know I can find a review there.

You haven't read the about section, have you...? ;) Seriously... Long ago I couldn't stand him. Now- hell, I would go as far as to say that I think he's pretty cool.

I have read the About section and still think that he's a conceited and arrogant a$$. Even the About section is completely self-indulgent. That's like someone saying, "well... I was just joking..." when someone calls them on their bullsh!t. He's completely disingenuous and a condescending pr!ck. Plus I dislike the vast majority of his photography that he has available on the Internet.

As long as you know going in that it's all "just some guy", and that half of what he says is a joke - it's a very entertaining site. And, as a nice little bonus - some of it is actually helpful too. His gear reviews, though not very technical, do give you a pretty good idea of what "joe six-pack" will think. I don't think his site is much different than this (or any other) forum...

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I now see online that I could also buy the D40 for even less than my budgeted amount, which would be great. How does everyone feel about this camera? I read that Ken Rockwell guy's comments on it and he seems to prefer it to newer models because of the price. Should I be concerned about the megapixel count? I just don't want to regret my camera purchase when I'm looking at photos of my month old son 10 years from now. If I have to I can stretch for a D5000, but if the difference between that and a D40 is negligible, I would rather save some money.

D5000 will give you two major things for a family man:

1. Better low light ability.
2. Video

Other than that, you probably won't care much about the other benefits of the D5000 such as 11 focal points vs 3.

People capture amazing images on all of these cameras...

A D40 with something like a Nikon SB-400 on top is a pretty excellent combo if you ask me.

I say the D5000 is a better investment right now, its a great camera.

Compare the D3000 with the D5000.

The D5000 has video, and has the same CMOS sensor as its older sibling (the D90) which are two huge advantages, especially capturing video moments of your family

Overall I say buy the D5000, you said you want a camera to last you and if you take the plunge for the better camera for you there is no need to upgrade in the future unless you want to pursue more into photography. I see a lot of people that go buy the cheapest DSLR and in a month to a year they have a new camera, just take the better camera that will last you longer.

Good Luck.

I say the D5000 is a better investment right now, its a great camera.

Compare the D3000 with the D5000.

The D5000 has video, and has the same CMOS sensor as its older sibling (the D90) which are two huge advantages, especially capturing video moments of your family

Overall I say buy the D5000, you said you want a camera to last you and if you take the plunge for the better camera for you there is no need to upgrade in the future unless you want to pursue more into photography. I see a lot of people that go buy the cheapest DSLR and in a month to a year they have a new camera, just take the better camera that will last you longer.

Good Luck.

Thanks, this seems like sound advice.

I'm not too concerned with the video, as I have a pretty good standard def mini-dvd camcorder right now, and I'll likely get an HD camcorder in a year or so. But I do definitely care about low light performance, since a lot of my photos will be of my kids inside our home. I'll probably save up a little more money and go for the D5000, so I don't feel the need to buy a new body for a few years. I'll probably never buy anything for it beyond what comes with the kit either, so it sounds like a solid investment.

I'll probably never buy anything for it beyond what comes with the kit either, so it sounds like a solid investment.

Dont be sure of that, once your into photography your going to want some nice glass. ;)

The D5000 is a great choice, why buy something thats cheaper and that you'll sell in a years time? That was pretty much my decesion when I got my D90.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back