First Engagement Session Tomorrow!! Advice?

westerngirl14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I'm back again! It's been a long absence but here I am again... gearing up for my first engagement session tomorrow. It's nothing too huge- my cousin just asked me to take the engagement pictures for him and his fiance. They know I don't have very much experience but they've seen some of my senior pictures I've shot, and liked them enough to trust me with their E session! ;) I feel pretty confident but any advice you have for me, I'm open to it!

I have scouted out my locations and have decided on the urban streets of a nearby town. Lots of brick, old doors, arches, old town vintage look. Also an old trestle bridge, and a dam waterfall. I'm excited, to say the least!

I'm not thrilled about the time (we are starting at 6:00 in the evening)... though I'm hoping for better lighting as the sun goes down, and hopefully we won't have to race for light!

I am shooting using my Canon Rebel Xti. ...I am most used to shooting in P, and Av. I have a sun shade and reflector set, which I plan on using also.

Helpful advice only, please!;)

Since the light will be changing quickly, you can use auto exposure bracketing as a little bit of insurance. That way for every shot you have -1, 0, and +1 ev versions (or whatever spread you want), in case the exposure isn't quite right. Don't forget about manual exposure compensation as well, in P and Av mode. Watch your histograms and if the camera isn't guessing correctly then set it straight! Around sunset is the best time for shooting in natural light though, look for areas and angles that will be pleasantly lit by the setting sun. If you can check out the town on your own around the same time of day that would be great. Figure out which spots get the good light so you don't have to be running around guessing while you're shooting. Maybe bring a reflector? Piece of white foam core board is all it takes, and maybe an assistant to hold it for you. : )

Good luck!

As the sun goes down, try getting some shots in silhouette.

Unfortunately, your XTi doesn't have Spot metering mode, the most accurate of the metering modes.

When you use P and Av to do people shots, what metering mode do you use?

Since the light will be changing quickly, you can use auto exposure bracketing as a little bit of insurance. That way for every shot you have -1, 0, and +1 ev versions (or whatever spread you want), in case the exposure isn't quite right. Don't forget about manual exposure compensation as well, in P and Av mode. Watch your histograms and if the camera isn't guessing correctly then set it straight! Around sunset is the best time for shooting in natural light though, look for areas and angles that will be pleasantly lit by the setting sun. If you can check out the town on your own around the same time of day that would be great. Figure out which spots get the good light so you don't have to be running around guessing while you're shooting. Maybe bring a reflector? Piece of white foam core board is all it takes, and maybe an assistant to hold it for you. : )

Good luck!
Thank you for your helpful advice! The exposure bracketing is a very good idea...I had thought of that, but thanks for the reminder! I do have a reflector, and a helper to hold it for me =)
As the sun goes down, try getting some shots in silhouette.
Great idea! I think I have the perfect place for that...
Unfortunately, your XTi doesn't have Spot metering mode, the most accurate of the metering modes.

When you use P and Av to do people shots, what metering mode do you use?

I have been using Evaluative... should I be using partial or center weighted average instead?

Don't forget the basics; talk to them about clothing choices (Nothing worse than having someone show up in a white shirt and black jeans) and suggest colour choices that will work well with the background(s) of the sites you have in mind. If you don't have one, borrow or rent a speedlight (and make a bounce card) for it.

Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back