First event shoot- winter festival CC

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I volunteered to photograph an event for my church. The event is an annual winter festival where they get bounce houses, hot dogs, face painting and the highlight of the event, fake snow for the kids to slide down and play in. I did shoot these in both Jpeg and RAW. These are the Jpegs, next comes learning to process the RAW files. This was also my first time shooting children.

Also, some of the background elements I had no control obviously.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68569598@N06/6866429065/

DSC_0492 by blackrose1981, on Flickr
f/5
1/250 sec
ISO 100
36 mm

DSC_0285 by blackrose1981, on Flickrhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/68569598@N06/6866419497/
f/5.6
1/320 sec
ISO 200
55 mm

#3 The thing infront of her face, although unfortunate, I just absolutely love her expression

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68569598@N06/6866414755/

DSC_0283 by blackrose1981, on Flickr

f/5.6
1/320 sec
ISO 200
55 mm

DSC_0413 by blackrose1981, on Flickrhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/68569598@N06/6866425023/

f/4.5
1/250 sec
ISO 200
29 mm

DSC_0264 by blackrose1981, on Flickr

f/5.6
1/400 sec
ISO 100
55 mm

DSC_0396 by blackrose1981, on Flickr

f/4.8
1/160 sec
ISO 200
32 mm

And this one was for fun lol

DSC_0581 by blackrose1981, on Flickr

I took a lot more then this. You can see some more here, although there are a ton more even outside what's on my Flickr

Winter festival - a set on Flickr

Last edited:
#1 You could of taken more of a profile shot. The way it is right now, you see too much of the back of that old lady's head.
Hope you had fun!!
Keep shooting!!

Angel, for a 1st effort, you did great. I don't really shoot people, so I'm no expect by any means. As tireiron said, a fill light would have really helped. The main thing is that you captured some precious facial expressions on the kids. Love pics 2,3, & 5. Next time try opening up a f stop or two to help control the DOF better. But that comes with practice, as you just got your D3100.

Not bad, rookie! You may want to consider a monitor calibration sometime also... as you seem to pretty consistently post mildly underexposed shots. They probably look good to you, if your monitor is too bright.

Angel, for a 1st effort, you did great. I don't really shoot people, so I'm no expect by any means. As tireiron said, a fill light would have really helped. The main thing is that you captured some precious facial expressions on the kids. Love pics 2,3, & 5. Next time try opening up a f stop or two to help control the DOF better. But that comes with practice, as you just got your D3100.

Thank you!

Not bad, rookie! You may want to consider a monitor calibration sometime also... as you seem to pretty consistently post mildly underexposed shots. They probably look good to you, if your monitor is too bright.

Yeah I'll keep that in mind!

The new d-slr is really working out for you!!! You are capturing great expression! Five of the above shots existed for only a fraction of a second, and you managed to capture all five shots!

The new d-slr is really working out for you!!! You are capturing great expression! Five of the above shots existed for only a fraction of a second, and you managed to capture all five shots!

Thanks I got even more, but these were my favorite!!! Yes the DSLR is working great!

Not bad.
Jpeg........ugg.
Ok, here it is.
You don't have to learn to shoot Raw.
You just put the camera in Raw mode, DNG.
And let it do its thing.

You're post processing Jpegs.
Post Processing RAW is the same thing, only with much more and better affect to the final image.

GET THAT CAMERA OUT OF JPEG MODE. lol

Also there are a number of online monitor calbration tools that will get you close without costing an arm and a leg.
This will be better for your post processing.

check here or google " Online monitor calibration. "
Photo Friday: Monitor Calibration Tool

There are several to chose from, use them all to get the best average.

Ok so I volunteered to photograph an event for my church. The event is an annual winter festival where they get bounce houses, hot dogs, face painting and the highlight of the event, fake snow for the kids to slide down and play in. I did shoot these in both Jpeg and RAW. These are the Jpegs, next comes learning to process the RAW files. This was also my first time shooting children.

Light, re-read my OP :lol:

They are nice snapshots.

A lot of them would improve with a simple angle change, get down on their level instead of look down at them.

They are nice snapshots.

A lot of them would improve with a simple angle change, get down on their level instead of look down at them.

Actually, majorily they were above me. Maybe 2 or3 I shot down at them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back