First ever attempt at bird pics

suryad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Please be gentle! Some of the shots of you all are amazing and it is really hard for a noob like me to even post his pics!
IMG_0028.jpg

I dont know what I could do to make the duckies not look so bright....

IMG_0108.jpg

Second one is excellent! you must be very proud of it :) Only suggestion for the second is to crop out the blown out top 1/3 of the picture and perhaps some of the right side to put it off-centre a little bit.
As for the first picture, you might want to try underexposing for similar situation

Thank you for the advice. I am just getting the hang of using my 20d. The possibilities are endless it seems. As for the blown out top....you mean where it is very bright correct?

yes, that bright area could be cropped out, as it is a distraction.. nice shot though.. for good bird shooting you need at least a 200mm lens, my new one is 80-400, and I am saving for a 600prime, or maybe a 800 now!

also,.try not to shoot down on birds, I always try to get at their eye level.. good luck!

Thanks for the tip Raymond. I have a 17-85 mm and that is what I used to take the pic....thats all I could afford as a student!

Second one is amazing, good work!

Look out for cheap zoom lenses. For Nikon you can get the 70-300 mm for a student-compatible price, dunno about Canon. They might not be perfect, but still deliver very usable results.

Thanks Polygon...I had to get really close to the bird to get that shot. I didnt even think that it would turn out like that. In fact it turned its head cause I made a bit of noise by accident and it all just worked out for me. I have a 20d and a 17-85 lens and they were not second hand...if that is what you were implying.

I wasn't implying anything and I wanna excuse myself if it seemed like that. I was having the impression that money was an issue from your previous posting and the prices for super long lenses easily reach thousand and more $.
Being a student myself I sure know I couldn't afford them ;-)

No no no Polygon haha you misunderstood. I should have worded it better. I thought you meant that there are lenses which if you are a student they are cheaper or something. Please dont take it the wrong way.

suryad said:
No no no Polygon haha you misunderstood. I should have worded it better. I thought you meant that there are lenses which if you are a student they are cheaper or something. Please dont take it the wrong way.

Ok, then all misunderstandings are cleared.

But I really like the idea, someone should ask Canon/Nikon to give student rebates on their lenses. Like a moderate 50% or so ;-).

agree love the second, but would love to see it cropped.. :) Great job!

Polygon...agreed! But doubt it will ever happen haha.

Thanks Holly I will crop the image in a bit and repost the results.

Very good first attempt. The second is amazing. I agree with everyone else, about the cropping. You would have yourself a stunning shot.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Here is the shot cropped for your viewing pleasure.
revised2.jpg

Hey suryad ...I came to look and my first impression was to crop the second shot and you'd have a beaut.
I just think you haven't cropped enough.
Bring in the right side to just before the first visible post and you're there IMO. :thumbup:
good work - the pink, grey, blue and green are nice together and the bird is really sharp and well exposed. :D

Most reactions

Back