First "Family" shoot..

TRod73

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello... I have lurked around for a bit, decided to come out of the shadows...

Here is my first attempt at family style photo shoots... I have previously shot primarily paintball and other extreme sports, taking the leap into formal portrait sessions, and looking for some c&c. I know on these my ISO was too high and the hair to background color coulda been improved. I am testing again this weekend... any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

My Daughter..
DSC03043.jpg

My Wife and Daughter
DSC03079.jpg

They are quite noisy, so yeah, got to get your iso down. You need more lights, much softer. Why dont you start with natural light portraits before jumping into studio lighting?

They also seem out of focus. I dont care for the poses either, esp the second. it looks a little horror movieish...the photo that would be on the wall in a stephen king movie, know what I mean?

I really would learn how to shoot people outside of studio first, then take baby steps to the studio. Its just way harder then it seems.

That One Guy? They let you get on the internet in jail?

not to hyjack the thread...but thats nuts...I didnt know they had internet access in jail..prison yes (my college roomate met her boyfriend online while he was in prison). LOL..sorry...hope you get out soon, trumped up charges suck

not to hyjack the thread...but thats nuts...I didnt know they had internet access in jail..prison yes (my college roomate met her boyfriend online while he was in prison). LOL..sorry...hope you get out soon, trumped up charges suck

umm...i'm not really in jail :)

my old avatar was nick nolte's mugshot when he was arrested. so i figured "the jail" location was fitting. sorry to have mislead you :)

They are quite noisy, so yeah, got to get your iso down. You need more lights, much softer. Why dont you start with natural light portraits before jumping into studio lighting?

They also seem out of focus. I dont care for the poses either, esp the second. it looks a little horror movieish...the photo that would be on the wall in a stephen king movie, know what I mean?

I really would learn how to shoot people outside of studio first, then take baby steps to the studio. Its just way harder then it seems.

wow.... I know how to take photo's of people, just a stupid mistake on my part with the iso...

softer lights = more lights? oooppss!!! I assumed lower light would make for softer light... :confused: I personally love the poses myself.... but of course I am biased, lol. (was going for soft and dramatic)

I appreciate the viewpoint, but I am looking to improve my studio quality, not my outside quality.:p (I mean all of this in a sarcastic way, not a nose in the air way)

wow.... I know how to take photo's of people, just a stupid mistake on my part with the iso...

softer lights = more lights? oooppss!!! I assumed lower light would make for softer light... :confused: I personally love the poses myself.... but of course I am biased, lol. (was going for soft and dramatic)

I appreciate the viewpoint, but I am looking to improve my studio quality, not my outside quality.:p (I mean all of this in a sarcastic way, not a nose in the air way)

softer light doesn't mean more lights. it means to make the light softer and less harsh by using modifiers so the light appears more pleasing and flattering. examples of lighting modifiers are: softboxes, shoot thru or white umbrellas, scrims, etc.
since you are using continuous lighting, you are limited on the type of modifiers you can use (fire factor).

here's is a good one to try
http://www.diyphotography.net/stuidio-lighting-the-ghetto-studio

or the very basic scrim:
build a rectangular PVC frame and cover it with ripstop fabric. make the frame tall enough for your lights. place scrim between subject and lights. not too close to lights tho.

umm...i'm not really in jail :)

my old avatar was nick nolte's mugshot when he was arrested. so i figured "the jail" location was fitting. sorry to have mislead you :)

well thats good to know. I guessed actually

You DID say you shoot extreme sports. I was talking about portraiture in natural light. It seems like an important step of understanding lighting.

why would you ask for c&c if you are going to get all pissy about it? I meant you need more light and softer light not that softer light = more light or vice versa

i think the reason she mentioned more lights is because your photos are lacking subject/background separation. in other words, your daughter has dark hair which is blending in with the dark background.

i will say strobes are the better way to go.
try www.alienbees.com

also look at strobist.blogspot.com this site is dedicated to using off cam flash. very informative

as far as the pics go:

-i think the poses are fine but i wish they were looking at the camera in the 2nd pic. your daughter looks very relaxed in the first pic :)

-both are out of focus.

i think lighting is your biggest issue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back