First few tries with a 60mm Macro...

crlovel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Still playing with my new Canon T4i, learning what's what. Here're a few macro shots I took with a Tamron 60mm lens.

A liquor bottle:

$1009007_594917237220515_2120804564_o.jpg

Something out of the wife's herb garden:

$1146779_594917510553821_568879912_o.jpg

Mmm...steak:

$1090957_594917293887176_1655665680_o.jpg

$1077410_594917367220502_479458158_o.jpg

Last edited:

Blitz55

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Hey

I like the first one. What kind of bottle was it?

Second image I think would be more interesting with a different color background. So much green just kind of suffocates it with green I think. The plant doesn't really POP. Not sure if that was something you could control though. :)

OP
crlovel

crlovel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Good point about the herb - I can move it, it's in a pot. I'll have to do it when the wife's not home, though!

I don't remember what kind of liquor it is. I found it at the store a few months ago and bought it purely for the aesthetics of the bottle itself. I'll check when I get home from work.

limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's vodka. Crystal Head Vodka to be exact. (No, I'm not an alcoholic, just a former bartender who recognized the bottle on sight ;) )

OP
crlovel

crlovel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
It's vodka. Crystal Head Vodka to be exact. (No, I'm not an alcoholic, just a former bartender who recognized the bottle on sight ;) )

That's it! It's a tiny bottle, too, a small sampler.

ontop27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What's the magnification? Those pictures don't seen very "macro" I just got a canon 1:1 60 mm and I can see individual fibers in my pants
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
crlovel

crlovel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
What's the magnification? Those pictures don't seen very "macro" I just got a canon 1:1 60 mm and I can see individual fibers in my pants
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It's a Tamrom 1:1 60mm macro. Am I using it wrong? Distinct possibility, I've not used a macro in 20 years and this is my first digital SLR. (I really need to read the damn manual.)

The skull pic, you can see dust on it - the bottle is a sampler bottle, really tiny. About the size of a ping pong ball. The large black specks on the steak are pieces of pepper and seasoning.

limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think the first one is the best. I don't know if the second one is close enough to be considered 'macro' but I could be wrong. The pictures of the steak...well, first I might be biased because I'm a vegetarian. I don't find a steak to be the best subject for macro. It looks...diseased. But beyond that, I think the DOF is too shallow for that low angle.

OP
crlovel

crlovel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I think the first one is the best. I don't know if the second one is close enough to be considered 'macro' but I could be wrong. The pictures of the steak...well, first I might be biased because I'm a vegetarian. I don't find a steak to be the best subject for macro. It looks...diseased. But beyond that, I think the DOF is too shallow for that low angle.

It's funny you say that. I LOVE close-up photos of food - exactly for what you said. No matter how delicious it is - it just about always looks disgusting close-up.

limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit

It's funny you say that. I LOVE close-up photos of food - exactly for what you said. No matter how delicious it is - it just about always looks disgusting close-up.

Certainly would be a good weight loss technique ;)

Most reactions

New Topics