First Gallery Showing!?!?

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had no clue where to put this and the Aspiring Pro's section seemed the most appropriate, since I've yet to post here I figured it was about time!

I just got contacted by a gallery that I put out a feeler to, actually the first and only one I've contacted so far, they have reserved space for me for Sept/Oct for their 2014 schedule! O M G !!!

Just waiting on the contract now etc.... but beyond tickled!!

Don't mind me while I celebrate!!

Thanks Sharon!

Just do it! I honestly didn't know what to expect, was beyond surprised and thrilled to hear back from them!

Congrats!

How much is the gallery's cut? How much space?

Who will be responsible for arranging for the presentation (framing, etc) of your work.

Thanks K!

It's all kinda a blur right now so I'll have to share that info when I receive the paperwork ;)

Thanks John!

*grabs John and does a Snoopy Dance with him*

I'm totally staying in this thread and going nowhere else..., I'm on a self imposed week of abstinence from TPF/etc... while I wrangle my miscellaneous ducks in a row so I stop tripping over the little quackers! I just had to share! Woot!

Congrats!

How much is the gallery's cut? How much space?

Who will be responsible for arranging for the presentation (framing, etc) of your work.

Should have waited 5 minutes to answer lol!

Here are the terms they listed, no mention of how much of the space is mine so I will have to get that info still, it's "attached" to a camera store in downtown (they rent two side by side units) :

By signing this form you are agreeing to the terms listed below:
  • You will fill the 2 month exhibition slot provided to you
  • We will need 2 months notice for cancelations. This is just a courtesy
  • FotoArt receives 20% of any display pieces sold in our Full Spectrum Gallery
  • All photographs must be framed and ready for display no later than the 1st day of the slotted exhibition month.
    • Pieces must be labelled with title and selling price (if applicable)
    • Any special hanging instructions must also be included
  • An inventory sheet of all the pieces being displayed must be filled out and attached to this form.
  • FotoArt is not responsible for any lost, stolen or damaged items
  • You give FotoArt permission to advertise in store and on social media your involvement in the Full Spectrum Gallery

Congratulations!! :wink::hug::

Thanks Carol :) :hug::

Thanks Wbarthur :)

Wow. Only 20%.
Do they do framing?
How big is the gallery and is it in an art district?

When you have time while your images are hanging in the gallery, will they let you spend time at the gallery so potential buyers can talk to you.

Yif you're not already familiar, you have time to learn about framing and presentation.

For display in the galley I recommend Nielsen metal frames. Wood frames are acidic, metal frames aren't.
Fine art inkjet prints made using solvent based dyes on fine art paper, using museum print mounting techniques (hinge mount), museum quality mount board and mat materials that are acid free, and quality glazing are not inexpensive when all put together.
Glazing has to kept away from the print. That's part of what a mat does, though a mat also helps visually isolate the print from whatever wall it hangs on.
They make spacers that can keep glazing from touching the print so a print can be framed without a mat, but you lose the isolation.
Cheap mount and mat materials aren't acid free.

No matter how acid-free a paper may be immediately after manufacture, over time chemicals from processing or pollutants from the air may lead to the formation of acid in the paper. The presence of an alkaline buffer will reduce or eliminate damaging effects of these acids for the duration of the buffer's effectiveness. The most common buffering additive is calcium carbonate. Some acidic materials are chemically neutralized with the addition of alkaline products; other materials are processed to remove the acid.

Being able to tell potential buyers about the print type (chromogenic (C-print) or inkjet), paper the print is on, the date the print was made,and the framing materials/techniques used helps to support an asking price, particularly when you can say "museum quality materials and techniques".

Fine art inkjet prints generally stay color fast longer than C-prints, but quality C-prints that suffer little from degrading environmental conditions will likely last longer than you do.

That's awesome!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back