First Gallery Showing!?!?

Wow. Only 20%.
Do they do framing?
How big is the gallery and is it in an art district?

When you have time while your images are hanging in the gallery, will they let you spend time at the gallery so potential buyers can talk to you.

Yif you're not already familiar, you have time to learn about framing and presentation.

For display in the galley I recommend Nielsen metal frames. Wood frames are acidic, metal frames aren't.
Fine art inkjet prints made using solvent based dyes on fine art paper, using museum print mounting techniques (hinge mount), museum quality mount board and mat materials that are acid free, and quality glazing are not inexpensive when all put together.
Glazing has to kept away from the print. That's part of what a mat does, though a mat also helps visually isolate the print from whatever wall it hangs on.
They make spacers that can keep glazing from touching the print so a print can be framed without a mat, but you lose the isolation.
Cheap mount and mat materials aren't acid free.

Being able to tell potential buyers about the print type (chromogenic (C-print) or inkjet), paper the print is on, the date the print was made,and the framing materials/techniques used helps to support an asking price, particularly when you can say "museum quality materials and techniques".

Fine art inkjet prints generally stay color fast longer than C-prints, but quality C-prints that suffer little from degrading environmental conditions will likely last longer than you do.

Thanks Baturn, Bunny and Slacker!

K, thank you for the info! That's a great jumping off point! I'm positive I will have more questions as I go along so don't go far ;)
The gallery is in/part of a camera store on the main street downtown Owen Sound, a tourist/retirement kind of place so not a dedicated gallery kinda place to stay and meet people.

Awesome, Rabbit!! I'm so excited for.you! This is the first of many!!

The gallery is in/part of a camera store on the main street downtown Owen Sound, a tourist/retirement kind of place so not a dedicated gallery kinda place to stay and meet people.
That's kind of what I suspected, and explains the 20%.

40% is more normal for a regular gallery, but if an artist's stuff sells regularly, the artist can often negotiate a reduction in the gallery's cut.

You can learn to do your own matting pretty easily, but you'll need a mat cutter which isn't terribly cheap. Also, double mats and other fanciness are are exponentially harder -- plain single mats are easy, though.

I'd pay to have it all done the first time, though. No point in investing in a mat cutter unless you're pretty sure you'll sell some prints. Or if you decide you want to hang your own work (I buy frames with glass in bulk off the internet, and matboard from a local art store. I think my out of pocket cost is something like $40 for a basic 11x14 frame with a matted print inside of it, all up, but this is a mix of museum grade mat with cheapo frames).

Congrats, pix.

Awesome, Rabbit!! I'm so excited for.you! This is the first of many!!

That is sweet PR. Congrats.
Thanks you two! Mish, from your lips to the Photogod's ears!
That's kind of what I suspected, and explains the 20%.

40% is more normal for a regular gallery, but if an artist's stuff sells regularly, the artist can often negotiate a reduction in the gallery's cut.
I'll keep that in mind for future reference ;)
You can learn to do your own matting pretty easily, but you'll need a mat cutter which isn't terribly cheap. Also, double mats and other fanciness are are exponentially harder -- plain single mats are easy, though.

I'd pay to have it all done the first time, though. No point in investing in a mat cutter unless you're pretty sure you'll sell some prints. Or if you decide you want to hang your own work (I buy frames with glass in bulk off the internet, and matboard from a local art store. I think my out of pocket cost is something like $40 for a basic 11x14 frame with a matted print inside of it, all up, but this is a mix of museum grade mat with cheapo frames).
Thanks Andrew, I suspect I will be piecing this together over the coming months, great info!
Congrats, pix.

Thanks Charlie :)

Thanks Manny!

This morning I'm a mix of Woot! and Oh man, now I HAVE to get my ducks in a row and quit foolin' around! lol I kinda like the ducks milling about, things are never boring but they tend to trip you up at the least convenient time lol

Well, well, well PR looks like you're starting your holiday season on the right track, congrats lil fuzzyy bunny.

Thanks M!

John, teehee, us small town girls gotta start somewhere ;)

Thanks M!

John, teehee, us small town girls gotta start somewhere ;)
Mehh... just funnin' ya; look up 'Sooke' on your map. It was only a few years back we got our second traffic light, and then things went to Hades, 'cause everyone used to give their directions in relation to the light; turn at the light, turn after the light, go through the light... now we have to remember if it's the old light or the new light!

lol! Knowing how directions are given around here I can see how that would totally mess people up for a long time lol!!

Most reactions

Back