What's new

first lens for my first DSLR

Joined
Aug 15, 2011
Messages
107
Reaction score
2
Location
Australia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi, I bought my first DSLR the D700, I just bought the body, I would like some advice on what to get for my first lens. I want to get a FX lens around $500 mark.
 
There is no good FX lens within your budget. I recommend 24-70mm f2.8 if you want to get just one lens for now. It is one of the best lenses from Nikon for your daily shots. :)

Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 + market price
 
what about the 50mm 1.4? someone recommended me because it was a sharp and cheaper lens.
 
You have to ask yourself, do you want a prime or a zoom. And you're going to have to save up a little more for quality glass, unless you find a good used lens locally. I've had good luck with Craigslist a few times over the years.
 
what about the 50mm 1.4? someone recommended me because it was a sharp and cheaper lens.

I was about to say. I have this lens and I love it to death. It's basically the lens I have on my D7k 80% of the time.
 
save up and only get top end glass... it lasts forever and u will eventualy get it any way so save up
 
The only zoom I have is my kit lens. I've also got 2 primes; 50mm and 85mm and use them the most (I have a crop sensor though). Then again, most of my photos are of our kids and other random people. Like you'll read everywhere else - Primes tend to be sharper, give you more depth of field, however they're limited to their focal range. Higher end zooms like the 24-70 f2.8 will give you a great range and will be a great (but heavy) everyday user (or so I hear, God how I want one!).

Not sure what you were using before, but I'd recommend going back and looking at old pics to see what focal lengths you tend to favor. Everyone is going to chime in here, but it comes down to what you shoot the most. If you don't need a long telephoto, you'll be perfectly happy with a 24-70 f2.8 once you get over the sticker shock.

I don't necessarily agree with buying top of the line glass up-front, of course we all would if we could. I've actually sold a used lens for $10 less than I paid for it new - take good care of your glass and you'll be happy with the value it retains if you ever decide to upgrade.
 
if you only have 500 to spend, there arent that many choices for the FX range..... starting with the 50mm 1.4 isnt a bad idea, it would teach you how to shoot. but if you have the money, get the 24-70mm 2.8.
 
There is no good FX lens within your budget.

I beg to differ.

The excellent Nikkor 35-70 f2.8D can be had within that budget.

The very good Nikkor 28-70 f3.5/4.5D is in that budget.

Older Nikkor 80-200 f2.8D can be found easily.

Nikkor 300mm f4.0D is available.

These are all very good lenses.

Many excellent manual focus primes are available for very reasonable prices.

Kiron sold some very good manual focus lenses.

Samyang offers some excellent choices.

Nikkor 50 mm f1.8D and 85 mm f1.8D are good choices.


The D700 will meter with a large number of old and new lenses. The big viewfinder makes manual focus fairly easy.
 
what about the 50mm 1.4? someone recommended me because it was a sharp and cheaper lens.
the newer/cheaper 50mm f1.8 g afs is actually sharper then the 1.4 version, your only giving up the ability to take very soft, low contrast photos at f1.4.

your d700 is also fully compatible with older pro-quality glass, like the 50mm f1.4 ais or the amazing 20mm f2.8 ais manual focus, wich could allow you to stretch your budget.

as for zooms in your price range consider these:

tamron 28-75mm f2.8
sigma 24-70mm f2.8
nikon 80-200mm f2.8 af-d "single ring"
nikon 35-70mm f2.8 af-d
nikon 20-35mm f2.8 af-d

whoever said you cant get a quality fx lens for less then $500 is not well informed.
 
Last edited:
I was also going to recommend the 35-70 2.8. It can be had for around $300 and that gives you enough money to pick up an SB600 while you are at it.
 
There is no good FX lens within your budget.

I beg to differ.

The excellent Nikkor 35-70 f2.8D can be had within that budget.

The very good Nikkor 28-70 f3.5/4.5D is in that budget.

Older Nikkor 80-200 f2.8D can be found easily.

Nikkor 300mm f4.0D is available.

These are all very good lenses.

Many excellent manual focus primes are available for very reasonable prices.

Kiron sold some very good manual focus lenses.

Samyang offers some excellent choices.

Nikkor 50 mm f1.8D and 85 mm f1.8D are good choices.


The D700 will meter with a large number of old and new lenses. The big viewfinder makes manual focus fairly easy.

Agreed, if you need a mid-zoom the 35-70 2.8 and if you need a tele-zoom the 80-200 AF-D 2.8 (older push-pull). Either would meet the budget. Of course, your might eventually want the bigger, badder, newer, more expensive versions eventually, but you could always sell these to trade up.
 
I how decided to get the 50mm 1.4 as my first lens because it is light and compact, a good lens to get me started on learning the basic of operations of D700. However are the lenses these days all made in China? Nothing against Chinese made products or anything but I thought a lens of this price tag would be made in Japan.
 
Saying that there are no good decent priced lenses for FX is a bit misleading!

Sorry to be like a Sigma fan boy, but i think the Sigma 50 1.4 is better than any Nikon 50. Nikon 50's are great, but the Sigma has some extra magic look to it.

And the 70-300 VR is a full frame lens which is a good telephoto for the price. My view is you don't need an expensive 24-70. I understand the importance of telephoto zoom lenses, but 'wide to standard view' zooms like the 24-70 are not my bag at all. I would rather buy primes as in general shooting you can zoom back and fourth by simply moving your feet and having the lighter weight of the prime lens as a bonus, not to mention the extra light gathering ability and Image quality!

Obviously if you need a proper wide angle, then its a different matter. You then need a wide angle zoom or prime. But IMO forget about needing 24-70's, primes will serve you much better.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom