First photo on forum please C&C - Lonely Walk

babarocks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

Any constructive comments are welcome, and appreciated.

Lonely Walk
These 2 figures are part of the Famine Memorial located at Customs House Quays in Dublin.

The-Lonely-Walk-North-quays-Dublin-12x8-IMG_6096.jpg

This looks like poor implementation of a grad filter. Why is half the image dark and half bright?

I can't get my eye off the watermark through the middle of the photo.

The backs of people or statues is less than interesting.

Compositionally it lacks merit. The horizon is centered, the stautes are centered, and the leading lines of the waterway and trees leads us to nothing of interest.

I like it.

But... I would move the people to the right a bit, obeying The Rule of Thirds and get rid of the terrible nasty watermark. ;)

Weird white balance, someone mentioned too. (blue tint.)
No composition.
Subject in the middle of the frame.
Watermark on an average photo, kinda funny though. :)

Keep shooting, try some other compositions.

Thankyou gentlemen for taking the time to have a look and voice your opinions on my photo. I was quite moved by your comments, but not in the way I would like to be !! Glad too that I had a big box of tissues on hand, as I am more accustomed to receiving nice compliments. However, I have regained my composure and digested the information and will address the issues raised as best I can...
The white balance: yes there is a blue hue, which is probably a colour cast from the Cokin filters. I went back into the raw image just now and raised the temp in the colour balance so that the footpath is more white, but the statues went a funny yellow colour.
Saturation not an issue as only moved the saturation slider up a tiny bit . I do very little photoshop on my images.
Technically speaking, I agree that the image is far from perfect, but I dont mind that because for me, my photography is more about evoking emotions. I have got this printed several times over because it has been a good seller. So people in general seem to like this image. I like it alot, as for me, it is an image full of hope.
The watermark is there to stop people robbing my images, but I gather from the above there is very little danger of that !
I have taken all your comments on board, and appreciate your feedback, thankyou. It is interesting to hear what others think.... :)

If you are selling your images, the Beginners forum section is the wrong place to be posting your work.

Who knows, by considering the comments offered you may be able to edit/reshoot the scene and sell even more prints.

Oh, watermarks don't prevent image theft.

Last edited:
Technically speaking, I agree that the image is far from perfect, but I dont mind that because for me, my photography is more about evoking emotions. I have got this printed several times over because it has been a good seller. So people in general seem to like this image. I like it alot, as for me, it is an image full of hope.

I'm confused. What was the point of posting (in the beginner's section, at that) and asking for a C&C if you seem to have made up your mind already? You're kind of coming off like you just wanted people to stroke your ego more than anything else, no offense.

Thankyou gentlemen for taking the time to have a look and voice your opinions on my photo. I was quite moved by your comments, but not in the way I would like to be !! Glad too that I had a big box of tissues on hand, as I am more accustomed to receiving nice compliments. However, I have regained my composure and digested the information and will address the issues raised as best I can...
The white balance: yes there is a blue hue, which is probably a colour cast from the Cokin filters. I went back into the raw image just now and raised the temp in the colour balance so that the footpath is more white, but the statues went a funny yellow colour.
Saturation not an issue as only moved the saturation slider up a tiny bit . I do very little photoshop on my images.
The watermark is there to stop people robbing my images, but I gather from the above there is very little danger of that !
I have taken all your comments on board, and appreciate your feedback, thankyou. It is interesting to hear what others think.... :)
babarocks, don't take C&C so personally. Listening to others opinions is just that, opinions. I have had some of my pics C&C'd in a public forum and have them ripped apart. That can be very brutal, however, that is the best way to improve you art. Try the advice given. You might just learn something that will take you pictured to the next level. However, that being said, remember Rules and Opinion should be considered, tried and then put in your back pocket for future reference. Don't ever allow yourself to feel like you MUST follow all of the "Rules" otherwise your shots would be like everyone else’s and you will no longer be an artist.

Babarocks,

Reading all of this I got more curious and decided to have a look, clicked on the name "Babarocks" and selected "Visit Homepage".

I was pleasantly surprised by this... have a look and judge your self!

Babarocks I think your photos are fantastic and the one you showed here on the forum too, I don't analyze presented photos on technical level but just how it looks and I believe that 99% of people looking at a photo do the same. Great work I have bookmarked your site and will check you out from time to time just to see how you are doing!

Grtx Rain

Babarocks,

Reading all of this I got more curious and decided to have a look, clicked on the name "Babarocks" and selected "Visit Homepage".

Babarocks I think your photos are fantastic and the one you showed here on the forum too, I don't analyze presented photos on technical level but just how it looks and I believe that 99% of people looking at a photo do the same. Great work I have bookmarked your site and will check you out from time to time just to see how you are doing!

Grtx Rain

Holy Cr@p!!

I took Raincheck advice! Amazing! And I thought I was giving babarocks a pep talk in my earlier post.
I make it a point to look at most everyone's homepage as listed on TPF, and I must say, those are the best pictures I have seen yet. Frankly, I doubt there are on this forum that could give babarocks too much valuable advice.

Great Pics!

I fully agree HughGuessWho,

Have been browsing this forum for a while and didn't come across anything like it, it's not just one lucky shot.
If you browse through Babarocks photos you see it's all ...

Rain

Babarocks,

Grtx Rain

Holy Cr@p!!

I took Raincheck advice! Amazing! And I thought I was giving babarocks a pep talk in my earlier post.
I make it a point to look at most everyone's homepage as listed on TPF, and I must say, those are the best pictures I have seen yet. Frankly, I doubt there are on this forum that could give babarocks too much valuable advice.

Great Pics!

I decided to take a look too and those are some great pics you have on your website! Keep it up!

Most reactions

Back