First Portrait Attempts

ShootHoops

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ariellemyers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these around late June and I'm finally getting around to posting them. I wanted to make sure it was okay with her first. We've known eachother for about 10 years and I knew she'd be okay with it, but I just had to make sure. These may seem kind of normal, simple, and/or plain to all you semi-pros out there. I have to say I'm actually somewhat pleased with my first efforts. All of these were taken with my Quantaray 28-90mm. I'm trying really hard to get the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 :(.

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

After I took this last one...I realized I could've went about it a different way and it would've been more interesting. I could've captured her from the side and still make it obvious that she's looking out the window. Well, at least I'll know next time.

P.S. - I didn't have a backdrop or any other equipment besides my tripod. I just wanted a little practice on capturing the subject.

Comments and constructive criticism are more than welcome. Thanks! :D

My favourites of this set are 6,7, and 8, mostly due to the fact that she looks the most relaxed in those pictures. Now, I know pretty much nothing about portraiture, but the lighting might look a little flat, but at least there are no harsh shadows. Perhaps a tiny boost in contrast might help. Maybe next time you take portraits try it vertically. She makes a wonderful model :)

I agree with the contrast/lighting comment made earlier. My favorite is #8 because it seems to have the most depth to it lighting wise. What I like in this series is how natural your model looks, that's not easy to do! I also agree with Peanuts that framing vertically would be helpful.

I don't know much about lighting. I'm sure I could learn a thing or two from you guys and girls here. #8 is also my favorite. I used it the first time I printed on photo paper. It came out great. But that's beside the point lol. Thanks for your help!

Hey! I thought I would have a go at editing one of these for ya! If you would rather me not have it posted, just let me know and I will take it down. Beautiful model!!!
ORIGINAL:

EDIT:
http://

sorry but these are just horrible. keep working at it and read photo books, you'll get it soon enough.

JEazy....I think that your comment was pretty harsh. I also believe that if you're going to give such harsh criticism that you should at least let them know what you find "horrible" about the photos they post. I took a look at your site and the photo slideshow you have, and it didn't seem to me that you had anything that would be considered "model photography", so i'm not sure you have room to post such harsh judgement.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back