first portraits in years that arent my boyfriend

NikonChick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A coworker wanted some shots of her daughter and I figured I could use the practice. Im apparently as out of practice as I thought.
These are a couple that DIDNT have really wonky lighting (its amazing how easy it is have your lights set up in such a way as to have it look like your subject has a black eye.)
As you can see, they can use some primping. Ive been doing nothing but still lifes for way too long...Ive gotta get back in the habit of adjusting light throughout a shoot.
Ah well, she was happy with them and Ive (re)learned a few things. :blushing:

Sara3.jpg

Sara2.jpg

Sara1.jpg

Well... I'll try to help. Going back to the basics of portrait lighting, you might want to start with a 3:1 ratio for your lighting. That is, your MAIN LIGHT (or modeling light, or key light) should be twice your FILL LIGHT. The fill light is the general illumination, covering the entire scene and should be as flat and shadowless as possible. So, the fill light should be positioned somewhere close to and behind the camera.

The main light is then used to achieve shape, and is typically placed higher and off to one side of the model.

Since the fill light is providing one "unit" of light over the entire image, adding the main light with two "units" of light to the highlight side, you now have the classic 3:1 lighting ratio.

Placement of the main light will determine the creation of "short lighting," "broad lighting," or "butter-fly lighting." I'd be happy to explain these a bit if you like.

A background light and hair light will add depth and background separation, and hightlights to the hair.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back