First real attempt at a Portrait - CC Welcome

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I decided that it was about time I really gave a true portrait a try with my speed light, new umbrella and stand.

I had the lighting setup a little above my head height and slightly off to the left (when looking at the subject) and has the flash set at 1/2.

Any CC would be more than welcome.

9657002223_72b79827c7_b.jpg
[/URL] 2013_09_02_SYB_Playingwithlight0132-Edit.jpg by lee demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

caseyrbrown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Looks pretty good to me!

For a little bit of CC...

First thing that jumps out at me is that it looks a little soft. His hair in the back along with his eyes are a little out of focus, and although you were shooting at f/4.5, the plane of focus is at his lips or even the tip of his nose. Maybe stopping down to f/5.6 or even f/8 would be good. Since you have a gray background, it doesn't matter how wide your aperature is, since you're not looking for bokeh anyways.

While his expression is good, a little posing may have helped. Maybe tilting him 10 deg. or so would have helped IMO.

Also to slim a neck, get the subject to push his head forward just a little. Even a half inch or so will help a ton.
Here's an example of what I mean:
http://flickr.com/gp/caseyrbrown/0ZURAg
Her head is pushed forward a little, and although she doesn't really have a double chin, it helps to slim it down

Lighting looks really good for a first time! Looks perfect, to me, for a one-light setup. Nice job!

OP
Demers18

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos OK to edit
Looks pretty good to me!

For a little bit of CC...

First thing that jumps out at me is that it looks a little soft. His hair in the back along with his eyes are a little out of focus, and although you were shooting at f/4.5, the plane of focus is at his lips or even the tip of his nose. Maybe stopping down to f/5.6 or even f/8 would be good. Since you have a gray background, it doesn't matter how wide your aperature is, since you're not looking for bokeh anyways.

While his expression is good, a little posing may have helped. Maybe tilting him 10 deg. or so would have helped IMO.

Also to slim a neck, get the subject to push his head forward just a little. Even a half inch or so will help a ton.
Here's an example of what I mean:
http://flickr.com/gp/caseyrbrown/0ZURAg
Her head is pushed forward a little, and although she doesn't really have a double chin, it helps to slim it down

Lighting looks really good for a first time! Looks perfect, to me, for a one-light setup. Nice job!

I'll have to try posing a little better next time. This was actually a self portrait and I honestly never know how to pose lol. I see what you mean in your link. I'll have to try that next time and with future portraits.
Essentially I was working on the lighting and trying to see what worked best.

Thanks for the CC much appreciated.

OP
Demers18

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos OK to edit
Thanks Tekham I'll watch the full video once I get home.

Most reactions

New Topics