First roll developed from Rico

Pallycow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got my first roll back from the rico. Well, not my first roll, that was done on real b&w film, will take a bit before I get that one back. This was shot on fake b&w (c-41), practice roll.

Learned a bit. Seems I underexposed quite a bit. So it's not too bad using my built in light meter (my eyes). lol. Played a bit with dof, did some long exposure (30 seconds on the stars). Lot's of fun. I have more that came out but did not copy yet. I'll get them all done right in a few days, we are just swamped at work to play with my fun stuff.

I did these very cheesily. They don't do the lens justice as they are tack sharp looking at the negs with a loupe on a light table. I can read the menu on the restaraunt one perfectly, but not on here. My quick copy setup was to put them in between two pieces of glass and stand it up in front of my monolight, shot it with the 7D and inverted in photoshop. Obviously a very "jerry rigged" way to do it but I wanted to see them on the computer, lol.

I'll get the jpg's up when I get them scanned for real at work. I'm really anxious to see how I did on the other roll. Since that one has to be hand developed, it may be a while yet, lol.

anyway, just thought I'd share.

$_MG_8278.jpg

Was testing DOF on this one, focused on chair/table and wanted to see how the blur was on background.

$_MG_8282.jpg

3. Wanted to see how reflection of table would look if I focused on the paper towel roll. lol

$_MG_8283.jpg

Wanted to see how bad exposure would be against windows.

$_MG_8284.jpg

30 Second exposure, used cable release f/8 I think. kinda not so good.

$_MG_8285.jpg

Same shot but I burned out all that haze and dodged the stars a bit, to see the stars more, lol

$_MG_8285-1.jpg

Not bad nothing fake about XP2 i develope mine in Rodinal not supposed to but i never follow the rules, why don't you develope your own
Here's one XP2 developed in B+W chemicals Rodinal

img615-L.jpg

Nice shot.

I still have to learn how to do it. once I learn, I'll be doing my own developing, we sell the stuff to do it with and have a darkroom. I just need to be taught. ;-)

Nice shot.

I still have to learn how to do it. once I learn, I'll be doing my own developing, we sell the stuff to do it with and have a darkroom. I just need to be taught. ;-)
That's awesome, to have access to a darkroom like that. Doing the actual development is easy, as long as you pay attention to mixing and watch the clock. Loading the film onto the reel that goes into the developing tank takes some practice, though. Start by doing that with old film until you get the feel of it enough to try it in total darkness - it will feel strange, but you'll get there. You'll see how easy it is and be doing it on your breaktime soon enough (if I read your comment correctly and you work in a camera supply store).

These shots above aren't bad; the reflection and backlit attempts came out nicely, and you already know you underexposed in other frames. Keep it up, this actually seems to come somewhat easily to you. ;) Go for it!

Nice shot.

That's awesome, to have access to a darkroom like that. Doing the actual development is easy, as long as you pay attention to mixing and watch the clock. Loading the film onto the reel that goes into the developing tank takes some practice, though. Start by doing that with old film until you get the feel of it enough to try it in total darkness - it will feel strange, but you'll get there. You'll see how easy it is and be doing it on your breaktime soon enough (if I read your comment correctly and you work in a camera supply store).

These shots above aren't bad; the reflection and backlit attempts came out nicely, and you already know you underexposed in other frames. Keep it up, this actually seems to come somewhat easily to you. ;) Go for it!

Thanks. While there are issues, I am not upset with the results of the first roll out. Now that I know it works, I'll work on actually getting interesting shots and seeing what I can come up with.

;-)

It gets dead in Jan Feb, so I'll have lots of time to learn about developing, lol.

Nice shot.

Its easy Rodinal mixed at 1+25 20 degs for 19 minutes agitate for first minute and 7 inversions every minute after, 1 minute stopbath and it seems to take longer to fix about 5 minutes

Get yourself a Patterson plastic developing reel and tank--they are the easiest for the beginning 120 developing student to use, successfully. Loading stainless steel 120 film reels is a bit challenging for the novice. The Patterson brand of darkroom tanks and "auto-loading" reels works plenty well. Developing film is EASY to learn...it is much,much more difficult to make a fancy French cooking recipe with 27 ingredients...but developing film? Why, it's as easy as making a cake mix...

Please, add the "H" to the end of Ricoh. I might have to unpack my old 1958 Super Ricohflex and see how it works. I have a faint memory of disassembling the lens wayyy back in 1977 or 78, and of it then not focusing right...it's been so long ago...that MIGHT have been my old 1940's Argoflex I disassembled....I dunno....when I was a boy, I had multiple then-old TLR cameras....Kodak,Argus,Ricoh

nah man, no H in my rico...lol. that's what I named him.

Get yourself a Patterson plastic developing reel and tank--they are the easiest for the beginning 120 developing student to use, successfully. Loading stainless steel 120 film reels is a bit challenging for the novice. The Patterson brand of darkroom tanks and "auto-loading" reels works plenty well. Developing film is EASY to learn...it is much,much more difficult to make a fancy French cooking recipe with 27 ingredients...but developing film? Why, it's as easy as making a cake mix...

Derrel has much more experience w/ this than I do, but I found the opposite to be true. Loading 120 for me was way easier on the steel reels than the plastic ones, but the opposite was true for 35mm.

Most reactions

Back