First shot with Nikkormat FTN

gsgary

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.gsgary.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up the FTN at our club auction for £10 and loaded it with a roll of 20 years out of date Tmax400 (pushed to iso1600) that i also bought at the auction then scanned it with a Plustek 7500i that i bought for £12 at the auction

643-XL.jpg

Nice, Gary, but I suspect you scratched the film by pulling back through instead of removing it from the cartridge (mark just above the cuff). I tried one this way (after you mentioned doing this in another thread) and one or two of the frames had similar scratches, so although it was much easier to load on to the reel, I won't do it again!

Decades-expired B&W and Rodinal sound to me like a bad combination. Overall it looks a bit fogged. Good to know the camera's still working alright. I regret almost every single roll I developed in Rodinal...that golfball grain and all...

Decades-expired B&W and Rodinal sound to me like a bad combination. Overall it looks a bit fogged. Good to know the camera's still working alright. I regret almost every single roll I developed in Rodinal...that golfball grain and all...

And stand developed because i was guessing exposure

Nice, Gary, but I suspect you scratched the film by pulling back through instead of removing it from the cartridge (mark just above the cuff). I tried one this way (after you mentioned doing this in another thread) and one or two of the frames had similar scratches, so although it was much easier to load on to the reel, I won't do it again!

They have never scratched before but i usually roll my own

I think HC-110 is a much better developer than Rodinal when needing to push to 1600 or higher. But I understand the stand development idea. Exposure indoors in average lighting? f/2.8 at 1/30th no matter what. lol!

I think HC-110, dilution B ought to do stand development as well as almost anything, with good grain, and decent emulsion speed realized, at least on "conventional" grain film. The T-grain films really are not ideally suited for old-fashioned developers...they build almost no shadow density at their normal ASA ratings, which is one of the biggest drawbacks of T-Max....think "Weak,detail-free shadows" when developed with standard developers. When pushed, T-max sucks when it's developed in anything except a developer designed for it.

I have a very low opinion of T-Max film for anything except normal ISO exposing, and for developing in its own, optimized developers. I'd rather have Tri-X or HP-5 if I need to go above 400.

I have only got Rodinal at the moment because it works great with my usual films, Foma,Agfa apx, Orwo un54, Double X, i also picked up from the auction 8 rolls of original Agfa apx100 exp1997 should still be good because it was still cold when i bought it, got 18 rolls of b+w for £2

im guessing this is just to test the camera. other than for test purposes, this pic is a tosser.
Plus, it needed fill flash.

Most reactions

Back