First shots with my D5100.

xDarek said:
I don't like to crop images, cropping reduces the resolution of the image, but I will try,thanks for your feedback.

Dude...it's 2016, and you have a VERY high-resolution, 24-million pixel image....it's time you learned to appreciate that making a BETTER picture is far,far,far more important than a worrying about "resolution" of the image.

I started with a 2.7 MP Nikon D1; moved to the 4.2 MP Nikon D1h in 2003 or '04; moved in 2005 to the 12.2 MP Nikon D2x...now we have 24 million picels on Nikon APS-C...almost a full 10 times more than my D1 had.

CROPPING images is one of the most-critical things to do with a 3:2 aspect ratio camera. The old preferred standard of 8x10 ratio means EVERY 3:2 capture needs cropping. And frankly, 3:2 aspect ratio is UGLY, or ungainly, or inappropriate, for many subjects or compositions.

Cropping a little off of the top and bottom of a 3:2 capture can make for a much better picture. or cropping off some of the sides. Honestly, some pictures will look much better in a 4:3 or a 4:5 cropped aspect.

There is absolutely nothing sacred about a 3:2 aspect capture from a Nikon or a Canon. High-end Nikon pro bodies have offered the 4:5 (they call it 5:4, same thing) crop IN-camera, as a capture option, for some time now. I prefer it for people pictures much of the time, the 4:5 aspect capture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back