First Speedlight to be purchased. Recommendations please.

PropilotBW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am feeling a little bit limited by my in camera flash, and I think it's time for a better flash unit.
I really am looking for a hot-shoe mount over a remote flash, but some have dual capability.
I've been looking into the Nikon SB-700 as a flash that will work well and have plenty of features.

I am shooting the D5100. Does anybody have other recommendations for another product?

If it matters, the type of photography is toddler candids and portraits.

IMO, the SB700 is an excellent general-purpose speedlight, and can easily be used off-camera if you so desire with the purchase of an inexpensive set of radio triggers.

SB 700 is definitely a solid choice. The 5100 can't maximize it's potential as it lacks commander mode so it may not have much more to offer than a third party TTL flash. But it is a wise choice to get a Nikon for your first speedlight.

SB 700 is definitely a solid choice. The 5100 can't maximize it's potential as it lacks commander mode so it may not have much more to offer than a third party TTL flash. But it is a wise choice to get a Nikon for your first speedlight.

Yea, I realize the 5100 has its limitations. I don't plan on having it forever. But I would like to buy a flash unit that WILL be useful for higher end camera bodies.
Any opinions on off brand models that have comparable features to the SB-700 that might save $100 bucks. What about a Bower? Vivitar? Sunpack? Yay or nay?

The SB700 is a perfect match for the d5100

Yea, I realize the 5100 has its limitations. I don't plan on having it forever. But I would like to buy a flash unit that WILL be useful for higher end camera bodies.
Any opinions on off brand models that have comparable features to the SB-700 that might save $100 bucks. What about a Bower? Vivitar? Sunpack? Yay or nay?

I am really only familiar with the Yongnuo brand.

I purchased a YN 468 II for a friend as a gift, it worked really well in TTL from out experience until a model decided to round house kick it across the studio while getting off the motorcycle she was using as a prop. We were using it as a hair light on a stand behind her. I have the non TTL YN 560 II and it has served me well.

Here is the 468 Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-468 II TTL Flash Speedlite for Nikon D7000 D5100 D5000 D3000: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yongnuo YN 560 Mark II. Phottix Strato II radio triggers.

Yongnuo YN 560 Mark II. Phottix Strato II radio triggers.

It would be wise to get a TTL flash for your first flash IMO. Those triggers are nice, but I don't believe they would offer any more functionality with the YN 560 than a set of CowboyStudio triggers since the flash is Manual only.

I also have the D5100 and the SB-700. I have used it for several shoots doing water drops and couldn't be happier. I picked up a few transievers as well so I can use it as an off camera flash as well. I haven't played around with it mounted on the hotshoe or the TTL, but overall I'm very please with it. BTW, I picked mine up used off of e-bay for about a 25% off of a new one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back