First studio, need help!

Thank you for this great reply and I couldn't agree more. What are your thoughts on Nikon SB-28s and thoughts on Umbrellas vs Softboxes?

Also you said, "10' roll of Savage seamless GREY (not black, not white, GREY) paper & stand." If I may ask, why grey above white or black? and thoughts on getting this: Amazon.com: Two Prism 10x20', 100% Cotton Muslin Backdrops and The Ravelli Full Size 10x12' Background Stand Set: Camera & Photo to start with?

thank you
'28s are great lights; if you have them already or can get them cheaply, go for it! Around here, the damn things are going for $100/each!!! I typically prefer softboxes over umbrellas (especially shoot-throughs) because it's much easier to control spill with a soft-box due to the light-proof sides, but umbrellas will certainly work, just a little more finicky, plus the Ezybox folds up neatly, just like a reflector, making it a great travel unit.

Muslin is fine if you need a pattern, but IMO, it's a PIA to work with, and when it gets dirty, it has to be cleaned, steamed... I'm lazy. I take the easy way. Every time. Seamless paper transports well (it fit's perfectly into 4" PVC drain-pipe; you can make an almost bullet-proof transport tube in about 10 minutes and for <$20 at your local hardware store), when it gets dirty, you cut it off, toss it away and pull down a fresh section, and it's always fresh and wrinkle-free.

If you're always going to shoot high-key, then sure, get white. If you're always going to shoot low-key, then by all means get black, but if you want options, then get grey. If you look at this recent post of mine here, you will notice blue, white, dark-green and purple backgrounds in addition to the grey at the bottom. That's all the same roll of Savage Thunder Grey; all I did was throw a coloured gel on a speedlight and presto, brand-new background (for the white I had to use two speedlights to blow it out).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're always going to shoot high-key, then sure, get white. If you're always going to shoot low-key, then by all means get black, but if you want options, then get grey. If you look at this recent post of mine here, you will notice blue, white, dark-green and purple backgrounds in addition to the grey at the bottom. That's all the same roll of Savage Thunder Grey; all I did was throw a coloured gel on a speedlight and presto, brand-new background (for the white I had to use two speedlights to blow it out).
This can actually be done on white, gray or black, though gray may make it somewhat easier on those without much space for background separation who have light-bleed issues, and to noobs who are just trying this out for the first time and haven't come to the realization yet that white or black (or any neutral shade between) can be used to do the same thing.

As the late, great Dean Collins used to explain: How do you make a white piece of paper black? Just don't put any light on it. How do you make a black piece of paper white? Just overexpose it. Same thing with the gray paper. Now add gels, and you get shades of color too.

What studio strobe would you recommend to get?

With your current budget you're somewhat restricted as to make and model, but first take the advice offered by Keith and Buck, and get some practice. Also, read books and websites and watch instructional videos. When working up your budget, be sure to include the backdrop and some light modifiers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back