What's new

First Time DSLR Buyer - Help Appreciated!

resemo

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 7, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Egypt
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey All :)

Well...its my first venture into investing into an entry level DSLR camera, and I was thinking of two options as per available in my supplier:

Option 1:

A Nikon D3100 for AED 3299

Comes With:
1.18-55 lens
2.Carry case
3.Memory 4GB

Option 2:

A Nikon D3000 for AED 2600

Comes With:
1. 2 lenses (18-55 & 55-200)
2. 4GB Memory Card
3. Carry case

I'm edging towards the D3100, but the concept of two lenses for a cheaper price is also appealing. I'm just starting out pro-photography but I've been using normal point and shoots for ages, plus I'm a pretty good Photoshop user and have been using it a lot.

Thanks alot for the help guys!

Cheers
Resemo
 
The D3100 is slightly newer, I would go with it also. The 2nd lens that comes with the D3000 (the 55-200mm) can be bought pretty cheaply from Amazon for just under $200 :).
 
D3100 is actually an incredible little camera even though it's entry level, definitely go that route - it's much faster too.
 
I would seriously consider a d90 instead of either, it's only about $100 more expensive. The exterior controls are better, and the lens selection is wider and less expensive (AF vs. AF-S). Long focal lengths really benefit from AF-S, but it's unnecessary at shorter focal lengths, and costs a lot more.
 
Thx a lot for the feedback guys...much appreciated!

I'm prolly opting for the D3100, as basically this is going to be a long term investment. I've got a couple of questions though -djacob- regarding what was mentioned.

I'm new to the SLR lingo here, so plz bare with me. Could you please elaborate more on the difference between the D90 and D3100? I found the 90 here for around 1100 USD including a lens, but the price difference is just too much for my budget at the moment.

Doesn't also the D3100 sport HD video shooting, unlike the D90?

Thx again!
 
Yes it does.

Main things the D3100 won't have vs D90:

Dual command dials (handy, but not a must).
Top LCD (again - handy but not a must).
Internal focus motor (useful only if you have older non AF-S lenses).
Commander mode (for off camera flash, can be overcome with an SB-800, SU-800, SB-900, SB-700 or Nissin Di-866 for example).
Battery grip - nice for portrait shots and extra battery power.
 
Right, I was discussing these two options with a friend of mine who's sort of a pro photographer....and he told me about the D90 as well.

Our main talking point though was about the lenses. Told me to get an 18-105 instead of an 18-55 which according to him was sort of useless. He never tried the D3100 and doesn't know it's specs though.

Another point was the fact that the D90 could be fixed easily if broken, since it's already sort of mainstream. Dunno about the D3100 so I can't compare that much.

Seems I might also have to get a flash for taking proper night shots.

Still opting for the D3100, mainly now for the sort of budget I have...
 
I would also recommend the D90 if you can justify the price. However, if video is important to you, go with the D3100. Video support in the D3100 is supposed to be better than in the D90.
 
What about the lenses?
More info on that?
 
Just an update u guys. I got the D3100 :)

I'm really impressed by the quality of the pics and the HD vid recording is a treat. I'm still exploring the world of DSLR though! (Pretty big!)

I need info about the lenses though. Do I need a 55-200 lens yet?
 
Great purchase! congrats. The D3100 has been nicely updated by Nikon.
 
What about the lenses?
More info on that?

Well you already bought the d3100, which was a good choice if the video was a primary reason--it does 1080p whereas the d90 does only 720p.

As for the lenses, the only difference is that you'll be limited to AF-S lenses if you want autofocus. Whereas the d90 can use AF lenses. AF lenses are usually around $100-200 cheaper then their AF-S cousins. AF-S is a better technology and focuses faster because it uses a motor inside the lens instead of relying on a mechanical connection to a motor inside the camera body. However, for small light lenses (85mm primes or smaller, and short zooms), AF-S isn't really necessary (AF performs nearly as well).

Often I see people buy a cheaper camera instead of a d90, yet they end up spending more $$ when all is over due to their limited lens choices.

If $$ is a major factor for someone, and someone desires a kit of three or more lenses--AF and even AI compatibility is a factor that should be considered, it can often make the more expensive/better bodies more economical in the long run.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom