First time out doing posed Male Portraiture for their modeling portfolio

o hey tyler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My friend contacted me to get some portraits for his modeling portfolio. The agency he's going through wanted more "sexy and edgy" photos, but to what extent both he and I were unclear. Needless to say, smiling isn't terribly edgy. So you won't find any smiles.

I shot these using a shoot thru as a reflective umbrella because I liked the way the light was wrapping more.

iqGuurQNfX6OP.jpg

imTjlJtdnIziy.jpg

Available light:

ieXNLm47ZJyki.jpg

i3D9LjcnwAJGw.jpg

Totally welcome to all thoughts and suggestions. This was my first time doing posed male portraiture for a modeling portfolio.

I like them, especially the top two.

If I was going to pick them apart-pic 2 my noob eyes are drawn to the knees, there's soemthing all the way to the left and right that may be able to be cleaned up.

Third pic can afford more reflector light or fill to male him pop against the background? There's a black line going into the side of his head, might be good to remove it (the line on top will have to stay but its more subtle anyway)? Some of the more harsh wrinkles in shirt can be smoothed? Concrete and cracks in window frame can be trimmed?

4th one lighting looks a little flat, eye sockets a bit dark, concrete could be cleaned/smoothed. Perhaps you may have filled the frame more. Also #4 might have made a nice head shot scene too?

Good call about the black line going through his head. I should clone that out. I don't find the other lines to be as intrusive as they're less defined than the horizontal one.

On photo 2, are you talking about the wrinkles on his knee where the sun is creating kind of a rim light?

I'll work on 4 a little bit as well, but I think I'll leave the concrete as is... I like it having some character without being super in your face about it.

Thanks dude! :thumbup:

Yes sir, I think thats what it is going on, its the very outer portions of the jeans on the knees drawing my eyes to that part of the pic

Well done! Very sharp! The light and DOF in the first 2 is really nice, great separation from the backgound.

Yes sir, I think thats what it is going on, its the very outer portions of the jeans on the knees drawing my eyes to that part of the pic

PS. Sometimes when I read your name, I read it as "2WheelPotato" and I have no idea why... But it does generate a pretty funny image of a potato on 2 wheels.

PS. Sometimes when I read your name, I read it as "2WheelPotato" and I have no idea why... But it does generate a pretty funny image of a potato on 2 wheels.

^^^^thought for creating a new profile pic!

I used to race bikes, i still get a few track days in but have mostly been slacking. I load my street bike to extremes with gear, sand bags and light stuff a lot of times instead of taking the Tundra truck out is why I choose that login over "steve-anthing"

#1 is awsome. I love the sunlight separation coming through the trees (if indeed it is sunlight... it sure as heck looks like it).

#1 is awsome. I love the sunlight separation coming through the trees (if indeed it is sunlight... it sure as heck looks like it).

'Tis indeed natural rim light from the sun. Thanks!

Nice. # 3 is my favorite.

My only complain is that he is not that good looking. I am much better looking than him. Other than that... good shooting. #2 looks a little weird. It looks like he doesnt have a shoulder.

Nice work but I felt like I was about ready to get mugged :lmao:

I think you did you did a good job on the photos tyler, especially in regards to the lighting on the first two. I'm not so sure about his expresison though, to me it doesn't say edgy. In this first photo he looks almost sad. The only one I think his expression looks natural is the last one.

Most reactions

Back