First time photographer...

bevoholic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stephenanthonyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I guess I'm the new guy around here...I went looking around at different forums and settled on you guys. I'm a brand new photographer as well. I recently just purchased a Nikon D5000 with a Nikkor 18-55mm lens and a Sigma 70-300mm lens. Took my first picture(s) the other day after a big storm that rolled through.

I prefer the orange one. What do you guys think?

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Thanks for your feedback.

I think you should increase depth of field a bit. They look a little soft to me. Have you looked at macro filters? I love them and they work great.

I think you should increase depth of field a bit. They look a little soft to me. Have you looked at macro filters? I love them and they work great.

Not sure what you mean by that. Remember I'm just starting out. And no, I haven't looked at anything yet beyond my initial purchase.

Depth of field (DOF) is mostly controlled by aperture. Smaller apertures (larger 'f-numbers') will have greater DOF, meaning that the depth of what is in focus will be greater.

f/8 will have more DOF than f/4.

Notice how on the orange one the background flower is out of focus? More DOF (smaller aperture) could bring it into focus. Not necessarily saying that it needs that, but if it did - aperture is how you would do it.

Softness is the opposite of sharpness...

Macro filters are an accessory you can add onto your lens to let you focus closer.

There is a difference in shooting RAW and JPEG in that RAW gives you raw data........ you need to do some conversion and processing to get a good looking product. JPEG files are processed at whatever level you set in the camera....but each time you process and save a jpeg, you lose data... search the subject...strong feelings both ways..

What I see is you may need to do a little sharpening and perhaps some saturation in post processing.. You should not need flash if you are on a tripod and have metered correctly.......:D

There is a difference in shooting RAW and JPEG in that RAW gives you raw data........ you need to do some conversion and processing to get a good looking product. JPEG files are processed at whatever level you set in the camera....but each time you process and save a jpeg, you lose data... search the subject...strong feelings both ways..

What I see is you may need to do a little sharpening and perhaps some saturation in post processing.. You should not need flash if you are on a tripod and have metered correctly.......:D

It was in the late hours of the evening and dark outside. I don't have a mini tripod yet, so I was just holding the camera. I'm not sure what metering is either.

Last edited:
In #1 the flower in back is distracting as its oof and makes the front flower now seem so. Both shots need a different angle and more blur of the background with the aperature at f11 or 12. The pot and misc. leaves in the back ground are alittle distracting as well, they do nothing to enhance the flower itself. It can be corrected in post but your shots are uneditable so I'll leave it at that. But its always best to capture it in the shot then to correct in post.
Things I look for are crisp in focus flowers and a background enhances the flower and is clear and sharp, if it doesnt enhance then try a different angle or blur it with a wider aperature (lower f number i.e. f8) .
A good start is to read the manual thoroughly, then practice, then read again. Have it with you so you can research how to take a picture of each subject you have. It'll be slow at first then it'll pick up. Also the three most important things to learn first is aperature, iso and shutter settings.
I suggest shooting in jpeg if you want to do basic editing (jpeg is universal in editing). Shoot in RAW if you want to get the most from your shots but requires more editing (and sometimes requires extra editing softwear add ons.).

In #1 the flower in back is distracting as its oof and makes the front flower now seem so. Both shots need a different angle and more blur of the background with the aperature at f11 or 12. The pot and misc. leaves in the back ground are alittle distracting as well, they do nothing to enhance the flower itself. It can be corrected in post but your shots are uneditable so I'll leave it at that. But its always best to capture it in the shot then to correct in post.
Things I look for are crisp in focus flowers and a background enhances the flower and is clear and sharp, if it doesnt enhance then try a different angle or blur it with a wider aperature (lower f number i.e. f8) .
A good start is to read the manual thoroughly, then practice, then read again. Have it with you so you can research how to take a picture of each subject you have. It'll be slow at first then it'll pick up. Also the three most important things to learn first is aperature, iso and shutter settings.
I suggest shooting in jpeg if you want to do basic editing (jpeg is universal in editing). Shoot in RAW if you want to get the most from your shots but requires more editing (and sometimes requires extra editing softwear add ons.).

I may be misreading what you have meant to say, but to me it sounds like in the second sentence you say the background needs more blur. Then, when you're talking about the things you look for, you say you like a background that enhances the flower and is crisp and sharp.

Are you saying that if I can't get the background to complement the flower by being crisp and sharp, to blur it? Hope I got that right...

I may be misreading what you have meant to say, but to me it sounds like in the second sentence you say the background needs more blur. Then, when you're talking about the things you look for, you say you like a background that enhances the flower and is crisp and sharp.

Are you saying that if I can't get the background to complement the flower by being crisp and sharp, to blur it? Hope I got that right...
Yes, you do not want to ruin the presentation of your subject whether it be a flower or person but having a background that doesnt enhance the subject.
Yes
A beautiful landscape behind a beautiful woman. Keep sharp and crisp.
A trash can behind a beautiful woman. Shoot at different angle to eliminate trash can or shorten the shot at a lower aperature to blur the back ground.
Your manual will guide you along way in practicing, so I do strongly suggest reading it cover to cover and practicing.
You'll get the hang of it, it does require patience and practice.:thumbup:

Yes, you do not want to ruin the presentation of your subject whether it be a flower or person but having a background that doesnt enhance the subject.
Yes
A beautiful landscape behind a beautiful woman. Keep sharp and crisp.
A trash can behind a beautiful woman. Shoot at different angle to eliminate trash can or shorten the shot at a lower aperature to blur the back ground.
Your manual will guide you along way in practicing, so I do strongly suggest reading it cover to cover and practicing.
You'll get the hang of it, it does require patience and practice.:thumbup:

Ok. Thank you. In my first picture the green leaves and such are actually part of the same flower, so would a lower aperture be able to blur those out? Even at such a close distance?

It does take practice but yes.
In most cases I try to take a flattering angle but yes you can blur it, see my two examples.
blurred
IMG_9689.jpg

enhancing background
yellowrose.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back