First time posting an Image on the forum!

tbarnes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I hope I am doing this correctly :) $DSC_0035 portfolio.jpg This is one of my favorite shots of my closest friends daughter!

It's a sweet setup. Wish she were at least looking up or even slightly towards us!
I like the color of it very much. It's a very nice warm tone. Exposure looks gorgeous. Focus looks great.

Trying to get this one to look even slightly up is like pulling a tooth, a few months later I just shot her family again and I swear I have this identical photo just with her standing up jumping off a table she looks away right as I pull up the camera :) Thank you!

I have one of those air horns they use on boats that I use outside-not so great for little ones, but awesome for large adult groups and weddings. ALWAYS makes them laugh after your scare the snot out of them with it. They make ones not quite so loud in the party stores. Those noise makers with the paper thing that rolls up work good too and so do clickers that you use for training dogs. I have an old "dino-roar" toy that has this hideous roar to it when you squeeze it. That's always a hit! You have to 'diversify' and keep changing things up. Working with a remote and camera on a tripod helps too so you can be away from the cam acting like a clown.

Why's she sitting on a suit case in the middle of a field?

Adorable! The post processing and lighting is just great. I love the innocence you captured here. This would make a great timeless canvas.

That is a new internet-era trope...:thumbup:

...kind of like the dining chair in the field of grass, wheat,oats,barely, or stubble of aforementioned cereal crops...

...kind of like the piano bench in the street...

...kind of like railroad tracks...or old run-down brick walls in city alleyways

...kind of like old,decaying factory floors, etc.,etc.,etc..

Pretty warm picture, I like the color, what is she doing there? It does make ppl think more about this adorable girl......

That is a new internet-era trope...:thumbup:

...kind of like the dining chair in the field of grass, wheat,oats,barely, or stubble of aforementioned cereal crops...

...kind of like the piano bench in the street...

...kind of like railroad tracks...or old run-down brick walls in city alleyways

...kind of like old,decaying factory floors, etc.,etc.,etc..

Right, and my point exactly.

I mean, overall, it seems like a fine picture. Maybe a little over-centered, probably would be better if we could see her eyes, etc., but the mood is nice and the exposure is well done... but... the suitcase.

As with a lot of pictures of kids, people seem to have conciously or subconciously taken in what others around them are doing and are extending it. Giant cutesy hairbands, and random props that have nothing to do with the children themselves. This is my one opinion against the billions of people who love Anne Geddes and hang pictures of other people's babies in their bathrooms, but... I think the pictures should be about the children, and many of the things in these types of pictures are just not.

Again, the picture is fine... even decent. I'm just commenting on the choice of props.

BTW, to the OP... please don't take this as discouraging or attempting to poke at you. I'm just saying something that I hope you'll consider when you take shots like this. You may choose to totally ignore it and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just giving you my honest thoughts on it.

No actually I LOVE what you said and thank you, it does really make me think about using items (if any) that pertains more towards the child! I will be keeping that in mind! It was a maternity shoot actually for her mother and we threw in a few random shots of Isley and ended up in love with this one :) Thank you!

No actually I LOVE what you said and thank you, it does really make me think about using items (if any) that pertains more towards the child! I will be keeping that in mind! It was a maternity shoot actually for her mother and we threw in a few random shots of Isley and ended up in love with this one :) Thank you!

Now THAT is the kind of mature, intelligent attitude in the face of TPF forum plain-talk and plain-spoken observations that earns respect...!!!! THAT is the way a new member here earns cred with me at least, right away. No excuse-making, no tantrum, no defensive attitude, just "the facts' ma'm", like Jack Webb's character on Dragnet. I like your attitude, tbarnes! Manaheim is one of the folks who will tell it to a guy (or gal) straight, as he sees it, without wussy-footing around. He has a keen eye for pretense and priggishness and all sorts of human foibles and 'tude....he and I do not always see eye to eye, but much of the time I find myself nodding along with his observational comments. So...just wanted to give you props on how you handled your first image post here,tbarnes!

What Derrel said. :)

(and thank you, Derrel) :)

Seriously, I wish I had an attitude 1/2 as good when I started here... or ever, really. Welcome to the forum. Seriously. We need lots of folks like you.

Most reactions

Back