First time posting! CC welcome!

SpencerW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im still getting used to my first dslr and i would like some tips on my photos. these were taken in apple valley california. taken with d3100 and edited with viewnx2. not sure if i over edited them or anything so just help me out with some feedback!

thanks!

DSC_0046 by stw1990, on Flickr

DSC_0129 by stw1990, on Flickr

DSC_0066 by stw1990, on Flickr

DSC_0043 by stw1990, on Flickr

DSC_0015 copy by stw1990, on Flickr

I really enjoy the colour in these. In picture number two I would say the sky was a bit blown out though and could do with some more detail in it. Great photos though! :)

They appear to be over-exposed or lightened too much in post processing.

When you visually looked at the scene ... was there more darker areas?

I second that. They all look over exposed with blown out areas. Post an original unedited photo or two.

Whoever is peeing in #4 has quite the flow...nice.

I am always happy when I look at a photo for C+C and try to draw my own conclusions - and then they match what the "pros" said. I agree with the other posters about your photos. Except the peeing part.

thanks for the feedback. im still new to editing so im not too sure what i should be doing haha

heres a couple of the unedited shots. the sun was pretty bright that day

DSC_0043 by stw1990, on Flickr

Skies blown out. Clouds blown out.

The water stream one has potential to be fantastic if you could have opened the shutter for longer resulting in a bluffed, waife-like stream instead of a halfway blurred choppy stream

A quick little trick I use for metering in difficult situations is look for some green grass or green trees. They are 18% gray. See God does love photographers! Take a spot meter reading off either one and shot at that. That should get you in the ball park. Another natural 18% gray is a clear north blue sky.

A quick little trick I use for metering in difficult situations is look for some green grass or green trees. They are 18% gray.
Please explain how green grass, or green trees, are 18% gray.

18% gray:

18Gray.jpg

Meters are color blind. The way camera meters are setup they want to make everything look 18% gray. If you take a pic of a pure black wall it will come out looking 18% gray. If you take a pic of a pure white wall it will again come out looking 18% gray. It's about reflectance values. Green grass etc. reflect at a level equal to 18% gray. I am sure there are some great resources on the net that explain metering in greater depth than we have room for here. Learning how your meter works is 90% of getting good exposures from it. Read up on the Zone System. It applies just as well to digital imaging as it does to film. 18% gray is Zone 5 in the Zone System. This system has 10 zones from pure white to absolute black. This explains why you need to override your meter by 2 stops when taking photos of snow with shadows in the dips. The snow is placed on Zone 7 which is 2 stops more reflective than Zone 5. Hence you need to over expose by 2 stops to get a natural tonality in the image. If you don't you will find your image under exposed by 2 stops and looking quite dark.

^On the left hand side of the page under "location" it says "post count"

Off topic: What is KmH's post count?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back