First Wedding as Paid Photographer

Not a bad set.

One thought though, is that in #4 the skin tones look very pink, and the dresses don't look nearly as orange as they do in all the other photos. The other one that looks a bit odd is that in the last one, the little pictures also look a bit pink on the skin tones.

I know the lighting was really flat, but I'm wondering if boosting a bit of the contrast, and some of the blacks and fill light might help them a bit. Just a thought.

I liked number 12 as well where you got some distinctions in the clouds.

Thanks for the specifics Nate! That is something I can work with!

Come on guys, I am the photographer, not the fashion coordinator. I would love some advice on my images, but please try not to criticize what the B&G chose for their special day. The groom is a rancher and a hunting guide, and the attire fit his personality perfectly. To dress up would have made him uncomfortable, and this was THEIR day, not a day for the people who might be taking pictures or watching the ceremony (who were dressed exactly like he was)! I am a firm believer that the wedding is for the B&G, and what makes them happy, goes, and has my full support! They were having fun and enjoying their day, without one complaint about the rain, wind, fog, mud, etc., ... that gives them a big star in my book!!!!

I agree, but photographically it doesn't work, regardless how much fun was had :)

But...

1. Caught the bride in a cross-eyed moment.
2. Shot taken too far away.
3. I like this one but be careful when hacking off body limbs. I don't care for the stray arm she's holding.
4. Captured the moment well, maybe a little overexposed.
5. See above.
6. Nice collage but... upper left seems tilted counter clockwise and bottom left isn't cropped tight enough.
7. Nice work but the brides face seems to match the rock formation behind her.
8. Watch for the crop... otherwise nice moment captured.
9. Too far away, capture the hills or capture the people, not both.
10. Better.
11. My favorite.
12. Awwww :)
13. If that isn't Larry the Cable Guy... :D

Yeah don't strain on us commenting on the clothes too much... it's tough when culturally it doesn't fit with our idea of "a wedding" and when it actually winds up causing some issues with the pictures (which I think in some cases it does... at least for some of us... the blue jeans just kind of stand out)

NOW... that being said, it's an interesting question... do they really stand out? Or do they just stand out to those of us who don't live that life? If the latter, then you should do as you are and totally discount what we're saying and not worry about it. If, however, they really do stand out, then it might be something to try to work into your photo strategy on this kind of shoot... maybe try to hide the grooms legs behind the dresses of the bridesmaids... that sort of thing.

But then, as you have, consider the personalities of the bride/groom as well... there was one woman who posted some images of a wedding where there were beer cans everywhere and this sort of thing. I found this personally distasteful, but that was very much "who that couple was", so fine.

Anyway, it sounds very much like you've done exactly the right thing here and that's awesome. I'm sure they're very happy with it if it represents them... we on TPF need to behave ourselves about howling about things that seem 'outside of the norm', but at the same time, if we're howling it's probably worth at least thinking about it a little bit and trying to determine IF and how to work it into your process. (the first and likely most important part being the IF)

I don't know if I articulated that well. :lol:

What a great location for a wedding and the couple looks like they were fun to wrk with! #12 is beautiful - nicely done. I also like #13 with the way you used many shots laid out on one page. It gives more itnterest to a cake shot that could of been boring. Nice job

Last edited:
Guess the clothing don't make no never mind to me.

But then again, I wore a Tux as best man for a buddy of mine. But for my own wedding, all in the party had on black jeans, Grooms men all had one style shirt, brides maids had a complimentary shirt to the grooms men, and the bride work a white leather skirt and shirt.

Not everyone cares to have a $10K wedding. I guess I made up up for that $500 wedding with a $14,000 divorce. So either way you're going to pay for it...:lol:

Thanks so much for all of the terrific comments! Chris, very well said! I do think we all need to keep the clients in mind when discussing the photos, just in case they might stumble across the forum; after all, this is the "Professional Gallery"! That being said, I agree that the attire can distract from the photos, but as the photographer, it is our job to accept it and work with it, as we can't change it! Personally, the guys all wore blue jeans at my wedding, and my attendants wore long denim skirts, so I didn't see anything wrong here (but we also drank Coronas for our toasts!). But...I was also told it was an absolutely beautiful wedding! So, once again, it is just a matter of different cultures... and the fact that I wanted my $$$ for the honeymoon instead of the wedding!!!

Thanks again for all of the comments, and I am definitely taking note of all of them!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back