Fixing a shutter?

Abby Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My dad's friend is moving to Florida and my dad is helping him get rid of all his stuff. He has a film camera that they wondered if I would want, but the shutter is broken. My dad wrote down what it was; his exact note said "cannor xlr ur EOS film". I'm not entirely sure what this means, or entirely sure that I read his writing properly.

Apparently (and keep in mind I know nothing about such things; this is what I was told), the shutter is three sections, and only the bottom section works. So when you develop a photo only the bottom third has any kind of image on it and the top two thirds have nothing.

Is something like this worth getting fixed? Or would it cost more to fix than buying such a camera would cost?

edit: it's free. So the cost of the camera would be the cost of fixing the shutter.

I think that translates as "Canon SLR ?? EOS film", meaning that it's a not especially old Canon film SLR. Shutter replacement would likely run $2 - 400 assuming that a shutter module was readily available. A quick look on eBay shows Canon EOS film bodies mostly selling between $75 and $200 depending on the exact model. IMO, unless the "UR" is actually short-hand for "1V" (Canon's last generation high-end pro film body) it's probably not worth it.

Most reactions

Back