Flash and ISO

oh ok.. so 1/8 is just a practice to do on my tv screen. You dont recommend it on indoor wedding? I keep getting mixed advice from people and google results of what shutter speed to use. Why is it ok to use such a slow speed (1/20,1/30) on indoor wedding, but it is not ok to do that on portrait photography? Is it because the blur isnt as visible due to the low light? Only things that are well lit will show the blur (except from the flash because it is only lit for a split second)?

I dont do any weddings. I dont have any prolems with my 430 EXII from canon. I do use it indoors and in normal lighting. I only ever have a hard time if the subject is too far away and/or my aperture is too small etc. 9/10 I get the correct exposure. I use manual on camera and E-TTL automatic on the flash. Again, I dont shoot weddings, thats a LOT more pictures taken, and a lot more possibilities for something to not be calculated correctly. maybe im happy im not a wedding photography haha. I dont want to have that flash problem...

Edit: I forgot to quote but interesting info there Derrel. That is the good kind of info I like to hear about, with Canon vs Nikon. :thumbup:
It has nothing to do with whether or not you shoot weddings and everything to do with how you use your flash. There is no in flash setting for "tupperware party" so if you have a big piece of tupperware on the flash you need to know just how much light that will suck up be able to compensate. If you're are bouncing the flash over your shoulder what good is ETTL? The sensor on the flash is facing the opposite direction, as well as the camera.
Kundalini, consistency was the main point of my post, I guess it didn't come across that way though. :confused:
I guess what I meant to say is I dont often shoot with high ceilings (churches) and im always able to bounce my flash off the ceiling or wall since I am often in smaller rooms for family events. My flash is more consistent and not hugely variable lighting like you may encounter during a wedding. (Especially with reflective bridesmaid dresses or the brides white dress.

oh ok.. so 1/8 is just a practice to do on my tv screen. You dont recommend it on indoor wedding? I keep getting mixed advice from people and google results of what shutter speed to use. Why is it ok to use such a slow speed (1/20,1/30) on indoor wedding, but it is not ok to do that on portrait photography? Is it because the blur isnt as visible due to the low light? Only things that are well lit will show the blur (except from the flash because it is only lit for a split second)?
If you are using flash it will freeze motion, depending on how much the flash constitutes of the total light from the subject. Try not to get caught up in the notion of prescribed setting for certain situations as only you can assess the available light when you are there. Take your camera and flash out and practice. Hell take some friends to a restaurant and practice over dinner. Practice it on the street at night (you'd be amazed at what you can bounce flash off of, store windows for example). Like I said earlier, bump the ISO up as high as you feel comortable, try to get the exposure as close as you can to the available light and then add flash to "fill the gap" if you will.

were you bouncing? diffusing? how were you shooting?
maybe you said this already but i wasnt paying attention.

also...and not to be a dick, srsly...
but mo i see..."im learning...this is my 2nd wedding after all..." "what's color space..."
this is why it is highly advised to NOT shoot a wedding until you really have this **** down. not saying you dont, but for some reason the results arent adding up. im really not trying to pile on and be an asshole, but if youre not happy with the results, then you need to iron out why before you agree to do another wedding.
im not saying its not ok to learn by doing a wedding...i just think, and i could be dead wrong here, that you should not be learning exposure and iso and aperature at a wedding...that **** should be solid. what you CAN learn at a wedding is wedding stuff...good wedding compositions...getting all the required shots...how to catch a great moment at a moments notice...tricks for candid shots...
again...i could be dead wrong...its happened once before ;)

*edit*
i should edit this to add that if youve been up front with your clients, and theyre happy then thats what matters i guess right? keep learnin dude.

Last edited:
were you bouncing? diffusing? how were you shooting?
maybe you said this already but i wasnt paying attention.

me?? Lol sorry I think I stepped aside and let Robinson take over :mrgreen:

I used the garyfong lightsphere. It works wonder but I think what I'll end up doing is since it spreads the llights everywehre, I'm going to get a small reflector inside so all lightspush forward and nothing spills toward me (which pretty much wastes it)

Why not get a bouncecard instead? Try the rogue flashbender
ExpoImaging - Rogue FlashBenders , much more versatile and as you get more accustomed to directing your lighting for effect you'd be better served with it as you can direct you light. I often don't want my light going straight forward and use a home made half snoot to keep it from going forward.

thanks! I'll look in that. Seems easier to carry in a bag

Yeah.. I have 2 weddings next week LOL.

Some people really hate to hear this, especially coming from me...but TTL flash control without color-aware, and distance-aware light metering is one of the reasons Nikon's TTL flash control system is so far ahead of Canon's...

I dont hate to hear this from anyone because I totally agree...

As I have said many times, Nikon's metering is better. Period.

I would like to point out though that the new metering system on the 7D and the 60D is a step in the right direction, although they arent quite there yet.

Canon's flash metering especially is poor, and I notice this all the time when using my 580EX. This was especially true when I used it on my 30D, which had really crappy metering.

I am a noob when it comes to slapping the flash around and showing it whos boss though...

Derrel man, check out the thread I made on sensor density. I want to get your thoughts on it...

- Neil

Last edited:
This is exactly why when I feel I am ready to do flash at weddings I will go to a pro and ask to work for free as a "backup" photographer. It's the biggest day of someone's life, I'd be **** scared to screw it up.

This is exactly why when I feel I am ready to do flash at weddings I will go to a pro and ask to work for free as a "backup" photographer. It's the biggest day of someone's life, I'd be **** scared to screw it up.

Yeah or you can do weddings where they are too cheap to afford a paid photographer so they hire you for free or for low amount of money :thumbup:

Sure if you're charging $1200 and promising them something unrealistic then yes feel that way but if you're starting out and putting ads on craiglist "new photorapher, asking for free weddings for portfolio work" and they choose you then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's not always good to shoot as 2nd shooter because most of the focus go toward him and you're just on the sideline.

....... It's not always good to shoot as 2nd shooter because most of the focus go toward him and you're just on the sideline.
It's also known as an apprenticeship, being mentored or paying your dues. Developing your skills and receiving education from someone that has experience in a trade is a well documented and proven process.

Immediate gratification often has an ugly side.

It's also known as an apprenticeship, being mentored or paying your dues. Developing your skills and receiving education from someone that has experience in a trade is a well documented and proven process.

Immediate gratification often has an ugly side.

Im not saying anything wrong with it but sometimes depending on the photographer. The one I shot these with, he was really cool guy. He let me do some shots my way, he let me direct. But there are also others that aren't as cool. But yeah do both. I've done both and so far so good. Don't want to make this a long argument. It all depends from person to person. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back