flash and video question

suppyx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi im new to this and had a question i have a canon rebel t4i and i was thinking about getting a flash for it which one would be the best most of my picture are taken in really low light. i also want to start filming concerts but most places i go there is no light really are they any video lights on the flashes or anything?

You know when you look up and you see the big lights from the roof of the concert hall - you'll need a few of them for lighting a concert for video. As such you won't be taking your own in unless you pre-arrange it fully with the concert staff and the rehearsals as any light you'd add would be clearly visible to the viewers.
Video requires constant light sources to light for it, as such you can't simply use a flash as the light from that goes out in a very rapid pulse (its milliseconds long so you would only see its effect on a single frame in the video).

As such for video you'll just have to put your ISO higher, your aperture wider and shoot the best you can. You'll need fast lenses, f2.8 at the very slowest.

do led lights work for that?

From what I understand of more LED light setups (At least the common ones) is that they are ok for providing close up light, but not much good at range. For that you need more light output than most can give (though I'm sure there might be some high powered options with a very high price tag upon them as well).

The thing is even if you do have the lights most concerts won't let you use them. The amount of light you'll be putting out will be like a flashlight effect so it will affect the performers and those enjoying the show. Even an official videographer would likely have to consult with the lighting effects department for the concert and you'd likely end up using their gear and having them tweak things just a little to best perform for recording.

do led lights work for that?

Unless you can get either extraordinarily powerful lights or have the lights very close to the subject, lights for video aren't going to work out. Not without a huge amount of money. Your best bet is to use a fast lens with an aperture of 2.8 or faster, and increase your ISO.

alright thanks any suggestions on a good lens for this for the t4i

alright thanks any suggestions on a good lens for this for the t4i

Yes. My "go to" concert and event lenses for low light are these two

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens 2751B002 This lens can collect four times as much light as a variable focal ratio kit lens which is probably only able to use f/5.6.
Canon Telephoto EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Autofocus Lens 2520A004 B&H (this is NOT a zoom lens) This lens can collect EIGHT times as much light as a lens using f/5.6.

I am shooting with a full-frame camera. You may want something a bit wider... such as an 85mm

Canon 85mm f/1.8 EF USM Autofocus Lens 2519A003 B&H Photo Video (this is NOT a zoom lens) This lens can collect about TEN times as much light as a lens using f/5.6.

Make sure you're not violating any rules by filming a concert. If you personally know the performers (e.g. you've got friends in a band and they've asked you to show up and record them) then that's one thing. But if you're going to concerts where you'd normally pay to get in then be aware that a LOT of venues (the vast majority) and/or performers have rules against recording video or audio of a performance. A LOT of venues have rules that wont even allow you to bring in any "professional" camera, which they very often define as "any camera with a removable lens". I usually contact the artist and get permission and a photo pass before bringing gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back