Flash trigger

slat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I buy a flash how important is a trigger? I'm looking at a Godox flash to use on a Canon 80D.

If you want to shoot with the flash off -camera you need either a cord or some way to trigger/synchronize the flash with the camera shutter. If you want to fire the flash when it is mounted on the camera, then a trigger is not needed.

Triggers and getting the flash off the camera open up a whole new world of lighting. You can buy very inexpensive triggers now, and I would strongly recommend adding one to the purchase of your light.

If I buy a flash how important is a trigger? I'm looking at a Godox flash to use on a Canon 80D.
Some lines of flash are equipped with a built-in RF trigger system. Some flashes also have a photo-cell trigger that will fire the flash in "slave mode". If your flash is usually within arm's reach, a flash cord will suffice. Shop around for a flash system with the built-in RF trigger system, or purchase a pair of RF triggers separately.

Have a look at the Hahnel range. I have used these for some time
You can use it to remote fire flash or as a remote to trigger the camera.
You will need to ensure your camera is compatible
You can add to the system to have multiple combinations
Each has a number of channels so that you can change if you want or need to
They are not relying on line of sight so you can stand behind the camera, not sure of the range
CAPTUR FOR CANON
Captur Remote Control & Flash Trigger for Canon
Part No: 1000 710.0
This is the newer version of mine so you may want todo your own reviews search
Edit
I did a review search practical photography did a review
Delete my comments about the ability to change channels
strongly Suggest you do a review search on it. As the new version has some differences to mine.

Last edited:
This is my set of remote flash/camera triggers
They are an earlier version

Attachments

• D8827230-53FF-4371-8643-D4FE4C3D5FEB.jpeg
    D8827230-53FF-4371-8643-D4FE4C3D5FEB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
I do a lot of table-top photography. In addition to a corded off-camera flash I use a Vivitar SL-2 flash trigger attached to a very basic Vivitar flash. Both are very inexpensive and they work perfectly.

Flash triggers are so inexpensive these days that I think it is a mistake not to have a set. My triggers are quite old now. I have a set of Pocket Wizards and a newer set of pocket Wizard Plus and a very old custom made set from 1995.

Stepping from on camera flash to off camera flash can dramatically improve your results and modern wireless triggers are the way to go. Sync cords get old fast and have the obvious drawbacks unless you are in the studio and working in controlled conditions and even there, I've used wireless for years.

The obvious choice for a Godox flash is the line of Godox triggers. For your application I would suggest the Godox X2T-C (Canon) trigger since it also has a hot shoe should you pick up a second cheap flash to mount on your camera you still have control of the off camera Godox flash.

FWIW, I too have Pocket Wizards, Plus II's and Mini TT1 and Flex TT5. I also use legacy studio strobes and this is where the PW's still come in handy. However, I also have Godox AD Pro strobes and mixing the two strobes can be implemented by mounting the Godox X2T trigger on the cameras hot shoe and then mounting a PW in the triggers shoe thus allowing flash sync of 2020 strobe technology with er...um... my 1980'2 Speedotrons, LOL.

Most reactions

Back