Auto locking foot
High-speed synchronization
Selectable light levels
Wireless flash
Bouncing in all directions
Modeling flash
Multiple flash emissions
Specific light control

It's made to work with your Sony camera...so that means you get E-TTL metering and all the neat stuff that happens when the flash and camera can talk to each other. I'm not sure if other companies are making Sony dedicated flash units yet...so this might be your only option for a dedicated flash.

It also has wireless capabilities...I'm not sure if that works with just the camera or if you need another flash for that to work.

The top of the line Canon & Nikon flashes also cost around $500, so maybe that's why they priced this one like that.

What should I be looking for in a flash?
That depends on what you want to do and how much you know about flash photography. I got by for years with an old auto flash. It could tilt and swivel, so that I could bounce it. However, it required a bit more adjusting to get the exposure right. A dedicated flash is much easier to use.

SB-800's can do that and their $200 less. Sucks for you.

My SB-600 can do 90% of that, and it's only about $150-$200.

What makes a Sony flash worth $500? why it's a Sony that's what. You should have know that going in.

uh.... which flash are you refering too....

HVL-F56AM is listed at $309 USD and the HVL-F36AM is listed at $219 USD at BHphoto. The first one having similar guide NO. to that of the SB-800.

Prices seem comparable to nikon and canon line of flashes....

Funny how two nikonians jump in so quickly with "mine is better cheaper" statements.

ooooOOooo... just noticed OP is in Canada. Never the less... the prices are still about the same.

uh.... which flash are you refering too....

HVL-F56AM is listed at $309 USD and the HVL-F36AM is listed at $219 USD at BHphoto. The first one having similar guide NO. to that of the SB-800.

Prices seem comparable to nikon and canon line of flashes....

Funny how two nikonians jump in so quickly with "mine is better cheaper" statements.

ooooOOooo... just noticed OP is in Canada. Never the less... the prices are still about the same.
Yeah, i'm biased. What you gonna do about it BOY?!?!?!

OHHHHHH!!!!!! HE DID NOT JUST DO THAT!?!

OH YES HE DID!

:lol: :p

Never mind sdgmusic, one day Ken Rockwell will appear to you in a dream and you will see the light, wake up and renounce your foolish using-something-that-isn't-a-Nikon ways. I'm still waiting for the revelation myself. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Little of topic (dont want to jack the thread, just out of interest), what are peoples thoughts on the nikon sb-400? I dont shoot much indoor, but when i do i havent been able to achieve a good fill flash with the d80's built in - I really would only use the sb-400 for flash bouncing (and I like its size and suposed build quality). Any thoughs would be apreciated.

On the Sb 400, I think that if you never stray from 8 foot ceilings it would do fine. Go ahead and spring for the 600 at least! Oh and unless you are using the on camera flash to control the Sb 600/800 don't bother. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back