What's new

Flat Stanley, Down & Out

arne saknussen

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 18, 2011
Messages
67
Reaction score
7
Location
Stone Mountain, GA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Everyone, my first post. I thought I would start by posting a recent shot I took in Washington DC. This was a literal "street shot". I found this guy abandoned in a crosswalk. Like to know what you think.

IMG_7849.jpg
 
While the composition and focus are fine, this is sort of like taking a picture of graffiti.
It is there to be seen and maybe photographed and so it isn't much of a triumph to capture it.

Keep on, you have an eye (the composition shows that) and so you will get more and better shots every day you go out.

Lew
 
Thanks for your reply. I originally thought that this was a "found object", something that happened accidentally, as if someone lost their Flat Stanley and he ended up on the street. But, because of your comment, I performed a web search and found out that this is a deliberate street art object (look up "stikman" if you are interested). So, I have to agree with your comment, photographing someone else's art, without another context maybe, isn't all that laudable. Nice snapshot, but not a great photo.
My main point is that I should have researched this before posting it.
 
I have a stickman image too! LOL I was in a hurry and it is out of focus. I'll dig it up if you want. But yours is worlds better.

I can see this image differently than taking a picture of "someone elses art" or the typical graffiti shots. YOU had choices to make how to shoot this to create an effective composition, which I think you did.
 
Arne,

I didn't mean this to sound negative.
Your picture is composed very well, caught very well - and you saw it so I think you have 'the eye.'
Now all you need is the opportunity to exercise it.
 
Thanks, Traveler. I didn't think your comment was a negative, but, rather, a good point.
 
While the composition and focus are fine, this is sort of like taking a picture of graffiti.
It is there to be seen and maybe photographed and so it isn't much of a triumph to capture it.

Before finding out what the photo is, I totally disagreed with this ^^^^

Now, I still disagree because not everyone knows what it is. I didn't, the photog didn't, how many others? Not to forget that this is not just a straight on documentary type of image. It is creative, very creative. It may not be a triumph to capture it but, on the other hand, how many people did capture it?

I remember a show I did with cast off/found images and a few photogs told me they had a bunch of those in their darkroom. True, all photogs did but I was the only one to put them in a frame after sorting them, cropping them, etc.

I'm not much for shooting others' work but it works very well here.

To the OP :thumbup:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom