flipping an image?

Why make an image of a ring that you want to be the primary image subject, where the ring occupies 1/200th of the image frame?
Why do photographers do a lot of the things they do? Many times it's personal taste, and you know what they say about taste?.... De gustibus non est disputandum. Or it could be something the client specifically asked for. What difference does it make to the original request? :taped sh:

Sorry, no audio, so I'll have to type out the steps.

First, I chose the Lasso tool with a Feathered Edge radius set to 100. I selected as much of the right side of the image as possible. I then applied a Gaussian Blur to the selected right side of the image. I then repeated the same process, each time applying a Gaussian Blur with a higher radius (5 to start, ended with 30). When using the Lasso tool, I'm able to 'select' the white canvas outside the image, so all you see in the screen capture is a line ("marching ants") on the image itself. Everything to the right of the line is selected to apply the Blur.

As you can see in the video, I start to select less and less of the image until I choose the top left and the bottom right.

So each step was applied to a smaller area, but a higher blur radius, as I selected smaller areas.

awesome! Thank you soo sooo much! I really appreciate this! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why make an image of a ring that you want to be the primary image subject, where the ring occupies 1/200th of the image frame? :scratch:
I think it is a great shot. Look at all of the beautiful tones and textures that she included by shooting so wide. It draws your eye in.

I hate to say it but I didn't see at first what it was... so I don't know if this look is working. (I thought it was a bug or something, not a ring - I was probably seeing grass and not thinking wedding.) Not that it couldn't work to have it in some tall straw-like grass, but I'm not sure if this much being out of focus is working.

I'd think maybe with the original it might have worked to move around when placing the ring so that grasses on either side were the same distance from the camera - that might help avoid such a difference on each side of the photo.

Okay so with your help I accomplished exactly what I wanted....I did do a minor crop not sure if I like it or the original crop better but.
This is what I did:
1. duplicate background layer
2. edit ~ flip horizontal
3. ALT, Layer mask to add a black mask
4. use my white brush to bring out opposite side layer
clear as mud lol? maybe I should burn the ring to bring it out more.....because I really do like the way it looks as is......just make the ring more brighter?
BEFOREView attachment 58808AFTER $IMG_3212washdpimushcropfliplogo.jpgBURNED$IMG_3212washdpimushcropflipburn.jpg

I think it is a great shot. Look at all of the beautiful tones and textures that she included by shooting so wide. It draws your eye in.

Thank you! ♥
I think just the opposite actually happens and the eye is drawn away from the ring, unless you blur the distracting parts of the image - making the blurred parts superfluous.

Instead, why not get closer and have the ring fill more of the image frame so more detail in the beautiful ring can be seen?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back