Flu Shots

I usually get the flu once every year or so, but I still wouldn't get the flu shot. I work at a drug store where we usually have a flu clinic every year, so I have talked to a lot of people about it. I can't believe how many young, perfectly healthy people are coming in saying they absolutely have to have the flu shot...they just can't miss a day of work from getting a little sick...and it PISSES me off!!!! The elderly NEED those shots, becuase it can be a serioius thing for them, but these other selfish people just HAVE to hog it all when we are in a huge shortage...ok...I'm done ranting...sorry.

My employer offers it free of charge to the employees. I guess studies show that getting the shot reduces the days of work missed due to sickness. So therefore, it's all about productivity therefore profitability.

I usually don't get the shot but when you do get the flu, you really wish you hadn't been so hard headed about getting the shot in the first place.

Also, I won't want to be responsible for getting the flu and transferring it to a family member who would be harder hit by it than I would.

I had the opportunity to get the shot at work, for free. I ran the other way! I agree with what's been said here - I don't understand why so many people feel they've gotta get that shot!

Mike, your employer wass pretty smart - from a productivity point of view. And it's definitely cheaper for them to pay for the vaccine than the sick leave.

The flu is not something to be trifled with. I got the flu 8 years ago, and didn't get any treatment, and it infected my heart and almost killed me. Now, after having a heart transplant, the flu is dangerous to me once again, so I take it seriously. I try to get flu shots every year but I still end up getting sick all winter long with colds and flu type symptoms. My immune system is surpressed to protect the heart.

I'm not saying everyone should panic and get the flu shot. I'm just saying that maybe it's not as innocuous as you might think.

Digital Matt said:
The flu is not something to be trifled with. I got the flu 8 years ago, and didn't get any treatment, and it infected my heart and almost killed me. Now, after having a heart transplant, the flu is dangerous to me once again, so I take it seriously. I try to get flu shots every year but I still end up getting sick all winter long with colds and flu type symptoms. My immune system is surpressed to protect the heart.

I'm not saying everyone should panic and get the flu shot. I'm just saying that maybe it's not as innocuous as you might think.

Well, you are among those that actually need it, then.

Digital Matt said:

Correct, Matt. You're one of the unfortunates with an impaired immune system and the flu is no joke for someone like you. My disgust is towards those who immediately adopt a "sky is falling" attitude and will do anything to obtain a vaccine even knowing catching the flu means little more than discomfort for a few days - while someone like you might get passed over. It's disgusting.

terri said:
Digital Matt said:

Correct, Matt. You're one of the unfortunates with an impaired immune system and the flu is no joke for someone like you. My disgust is towards those who immediately adopt a "sky is falling" attitude and will do anything to obtain a vaccine even knowing catching the flu means little more than discomfort for a few days - while someone like you might get passed over. It's disgusting.

Ya know, it seems like lately I try to explain something, then someone else comes along and explains it so much better. That's exactly my point, too, Terri.

Yes, I'm one of the few who need it, but what I'm saying is that I was a totally healthy person, who almost died from the flu. It's not always a little more than a discomfort, even for a totally healthy person.

Digital Matt said:
Yes, I'm one of the few who need it, but what I'm saying is that I was a totally healthy person, who almost died from the flu. It's not always a little more than a discomfort, even for a totally healthy person.

Medicine is not nor will ever be an exact science. Technology can make it appear so, though. But humans contain too many variables. It's amazing when the majority of us can tolerate medicinal compounds; aspirin is still a minor miracle. :wink:

Flu strains also vary from year to year. What will be a 2-3 day nuisance bug one year can be a raging 10-day beast the next year. That's part of the reason it takes so long to manufacture the vaccine, and why there should be several suppliers in case someone ends up with a bad batch.

Corry: great minds, chica. :p

core_17 said:
To hell with flu vaccines! I WANNA COMMON COLD VACCINE!!!!! And I want it NOW. :)

That's something that probably won't happen anytime soon...poor little muffin. Knock back something nasty like Nyquil to help with the symptoms and put you to sleep....rest and push fluids...during the day have chicken soup and chamomile tea, young lady. Wash your hands a lot to keep your nasty germs from spreading. :wink:

Now go to bed!!! :hug:

terri said:
core_17 said:
To hell with flu vaccines! I WANNA COMMON COLD VACCINE!!!!! And I want it NOW. :)

That's something that probably won't happen anytime soon...poor little muffin. Knock back something nasty like Nyquil to help with the symptoms and put you to sleep....rest and push fluids...during the day have chicken soup and chamomile tea, young lady. Wash your hands a lot to keep your nasty germs from spreading. :wink:

Now go to bed!!! :hug:

Aw! Thanks!!!! Sorry everyone...I'm really REALLY whiny and pathetic when I'm sick!!! :)

the last time i got the flu, i dropped 25 pounds in two weeks. NOT GOOD.

got my shot about a week and a half ago. i think my mom and i are the only two in the family that got it. (she works at a hospital delivering babies and i've got asthma and chronic bronchitis, so... you know.) my dad, brother and sister all have asthma as well, but their doctor doesn't have any of the vaccine to give them. sucks to be them! i was lucky... i got it for free from my university.

almost every time i go into the health center (at least once a week for shots) i hear one of the nurses on the phone trying to explain to people why they can't get the vaccine. i bet they're really tired of it. they ought to have a prerecorded message to turn people down.

Actually, the flu vaccine takes about 6 months to grow and is cultured from eggs. This year a huge percentage of the vaccine was contaminated and since it takes to long to re-culture there is a shortage. The flu for most people isn't a big deal, but for those high risk it can lead to death, hence the influenza outbreaks in the past.

[/end useless information from the life insurance underwriter]

Most reactions

Back