flytying pics... what you think

flyfisher117

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
somedays it seems i can get decent pics and others i cant get nothin but so far how are they?

steeliefly006.jpg
bugger002.jpg
eggs002.jpg

im only 16 and just using dads canon eos rebel xti on the close up setting ive tried setting the shutter speed and macro and all that manualy but i dont understand that stuff so i can never get it figured out

im only 16 and just using dads canon eos rebel xti on the close up setting ive tried setting the shutter speed and macro and all that manualy but i dont understand that stuff so i can never get it figured out

Google is your help here. If you don't like reading like me, then youtube is your friend....

Those pix just look like any other pix from ps camera sorry

gbh-grhe-natural.jpg

if trying to get a photo of this quality would a small zoom lens be better than a big zoom?

that they are these are early pics that i took before i noticed that turning the auto focus off and getting a tripod helped focus a lot better and more of on the fly

Small objects require different techniques, close down the lens to F11 -F16, then manual focus if your not happy with auto. Your tweezers holding the fly look to be the sharpest object when its the hook/fly you want, so if keeping auto focus on the fly itself, if that don't come up with the goods then go manual, but remember to close down the lens, small things require greater depth of field in the image. H

As a mere coincidence, my son happens to be at home just now (he usually is away at uni), and he ties his own flies, too. Isn't that funny?

He also takes photos of his flies and posts them on fly fisher forums and such.

It is not easy to get well-focussed close-ups of things as small as those flies. When you set the camera to macro (or use a lens that's either got macro settings or even a dedicated macro lens), your depth of field becomes very shallow, so that breathing in might move you out of focus the moment you push the release button. That's why it sure applies what FlashHarry says: you need a SMALL aperture for a LARGER depth of field so that such tiny movements won't matter as much.

HOWEVER, with a small aperture, which means that at a given time LESS light can get onto your sensor, you'll also need LONGER exposure times. And you may get times too long to hand-hold and end with camera shake. So you might consider using a tripod for your fly photos.

To autofocus easier, set the camera to just use the center autofocus dot. If you dad's is like my Rebel 300D, there will be two small button on the top right of the back of the camera that look like this:

300d.jpg

Push that button, then look through the viewfinder and turn the wheel. You'll see the red dot move from place to place. Keep going till it's in the center of the viewfinder and press the shutter button. Now the camera will only focus on what's in the center of the image. It will make using the autofocus *much* easier. If you need to focus on something that's off center, put it in the center, focus by holding the shutter down half way, then move the camera back to where you want it (keeping the shutter held half way). The focus will remain where it was set until you either push the shutter the rest of the way, or release the shutter button.

Most reactions

Back